cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware Alaska Ferry.

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
We have big problems ahead with our Juneau-Haines connection. The extensions now jeopardize a Denali reservation.

Check earlier post but we were "confirmed" last November when they took our money for a May 31 run from Juneau to Haines to complete a multi-stop run from Prince Rupert on the AK Line. $1206 w/camper.

They had problems with the Columbia so we were "reconfirmed" for a 4 day delay of a June 3 arrival in Haines.

We just received an Email that says we have now been confirmed for a June 5 arrival in Haines.

I'm guessing that you DO NOT give them an Email address. If you do, you are the "easy-out." They turn their backs and drop an Email while our neighbors in this RV park hop on their ferries unaffected.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal
13 REPLIES 13

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we read an article in the Haines paper that the Town of Skagway owns the land under Garden City RV Park. They want to build a new city hall on the land and will close the RV park, with no plans to replace it elsewhere in town. So, the town will be left with two RV parks--one really noisy dump and one next to the small boat harbor that is a pain to access due to all the pedestrian cruise ship passengers and trains.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
But Skagway doesn't care about RVers anyway, as shown by the plan to close Garden City RV Park.

What is the plan to close it?

http://www.skagway.org/vertical/sites/%7B7820C4E3-63B9-4E67-95BA-7C70FBA51E8F%7D/uploads/Res_13-13R_...
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

alaskan-rver
Explorer
Explorer
Ferry strike in our future?

Let's hope it doesn't come to this...

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer, we got our reservations for the Riley Creek campground at Denali three days before we arrived. That was the farthest out that we had any reservations on the entire trip.

Last July, we made reservations for the Skagway to Haines AMHS ferry one morning and were on it at 3:00 that afternoon. We made reservations for the Kenai Fjords tour boat the evening we arrived in Seward and were on it the following morning. And, on other trips, we have just walked up to the office and gotten tickets for flightseeing around Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna, the narrow-gauge train in Skagway, and the Alaska Railway from Anchorage to Denali.

As Sue said, Alaskans recognize the difficulties of travel in their state and make allowances and "walk-ins" are welcomed everywhere. After all, many of them have to make a year's wages in 5 months!

About the only exception we ran into is Skagway, where everything is designed for the cruise-ship crowd and scheduled months in advance. But Skagway doesn't care about RVers anyway, as shown by the plan to close Garden City RV Park. So, after a couple of trips there, it has become primarily just a place to catch the ferry to Haines or Juneau for us.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
So, DON'T give them an email address so they won't know how to notify you that there are circumstances beyond the control of the ferry operator, and since they can't find you, they will magically abide by the posted schedule regardless of the fact that the boat has a blown engine.. Is that about right?
Funny but true.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
So, DON'T give them an email address so they won't know how to notify you that there are circumstances beyond the control of the ferry operator, and since they can't find you, they will magically abide by the posted schedule regardless of the fact that the boat has a blown engine.. Is that about right?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

hr0082
Explorer
Explorer
After two trips to Alaska and getting ready to head back in a few days, I have certainly learned that a strict schedule simply does not work. S**t happens and it is so much more enjoyable to make decisions on the fly. That it probably the best thing about having a traveling bedroom, bathroom and kitchen, you do not have to have motel reservations. That is especially true on the AK trip where many times you can simply pull off the road and eat or sleep. We have twice taken the ferry and made our reservations the day prior. I realize this might not work when taking a ferry that only runs once a week. My advice for everyone in an RV is the just have a vague plan and then see what the road conditions and weather are like as you make your way. With the fire situation, that is what we are planning to do.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For one of our Alaskan trips we took the ferry and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sorry you had problems but a 5-day delay is better than having ferry problems out on the water. Things happen. This is why we don't make far out reservations. Sometimes it's better if you're not on a strict schedule and just enjoy the trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
How does it jeopardize your reservation?
When are due at Denali?
Number of night reserved?

Where are you bound after Denali?

Need more facts
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I sympathize with your circumstance. It can be tough waiting and not being able to control the timing of your journey.

BUT one could also say beware the Alaska Highway. It closed to all traffic for 4 days in June 2012 due to a bridge washout. Crews worked hard to get traffic flowing again, and it was one way for a long period. The Campbell & Cassiar Highways were closed at the same time so there was no alternative to drive north or southbound. Grocery stores ran low on supplies and some gas stations ran dry.

Beware the Cassiar Highway as well. Extended closures are also common there, usually due to flooding. Forest fires have also closed this route for lengthy periods. Last year the Campbell Highway in Yukon closed due to forest fire, for days.

Thus, it is best to be ready to adapt to any circumstance. Advance reservations can be missed if something happens.

You'll still be able to visit Denali. A few days notice is often all that is needed unless it is a long weekend. If you phone, they might give you special consideration. Commercial enterprises in the north know that stuff happens and often provide exceptions to those affected.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
It's not difficult to get Denali reservations.

I never had a problem calling a week ahead. And seems like they usually have next day Tek sites.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your inconvenience but would you rather they not have your email and not notify you of the changes.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
So we are supposed to "beware of Alaska ferry" because they had problems with one of their ferries and you were delayed? I'm confused...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)