Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boston to Outer Banks

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
We are planning our first BIG trip in our brand new Class C Coachman Concord 300DS in August. We are hoping to head to the Outer Banks NC. Does anyone have a suggested route ? are there reasons why you chose a particular route? Or places to stay away from ? Can we go on the Chesapeake Bay / Bridge Tunnel ? Thanks in advance for any tips you might have for our travels down there !
Sarah
2018 Coachman Concord 300DS
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me
22 REPLIES 22

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I took it this last November. And yes the never ending Waterbury work is still in progress. I usually just figure it as part of the trip, sometimes good sometimes bad but having to commuted from Warwick to Milford CT. for 5 years I really try avoid I95 south of New Haven.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
docsouce wrote:
Heading south a very good alternate is I95 to RT 9 north at Old Saybrook to RT 66 to I691 to I84 to I684 to the Tappan Zee. This might seem like a long way around but it cuts out all that traffic on I95 south of New Haven. We use this route all the time.

Dave - have you used this route lately? I've used this route several times, especially if I'm going out I-84 to PA. Last time I used this route the traffic on I-84 in Waterbury was terrible.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I took this route a few times when on East coast to avoid the terrible traffic in the NY, NJ, DC area and would take it again: I84 to I81 to 64 around Richmond on beltway, Norfolk bridge tunnel (just have to shut off propane tanks) to 168-158 to KittyHawk. Sghts along the way depending on how much time you have.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heading south a very good alternate is I95 to RT 9 north at Old Saybrook to RT 66 to I691 to I84 to I684 to the Tappan Zee. This might seem like a long way around but it cuts out all that traffic on I95 south of New Haven. We use this route all the time. 2X on the Cape May Ferry then work your way to Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel. I haven't been down the New Jersey coast during the summer so some research might be wise. 2X on the Assateague Islands. Great spot.
We stayed at the Seashores Campsites in Cape May, which we liked, Castaways RV Resort in Berlin Maryland which was OK, (lots and lots of traffic on route 1 south of Dewey Beach toward Ocean City Md.)
2x on the Cape Hatteras KOA. Coming back I work my way to I81 and avoid all the big cities, especially DC. Got hung up south of DC for 4 hours once, never again. Enjoy..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
US 17 North back to Delaware Memorial Bridge, and then the route of your choosing back up to the Tappanzee.

I think you mean US13. You can also cut across to Lewes and take the Cape May Ferry.

Jerry & Jeanne

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
x-2 on Jplante's post route with a return via the Ches Bay Bridge Tunnel. Turn off propane for the tunnel itself and then visit Chincoteague/Assateague island and National Wildlife refuge. US 17 North back to Delaware Memorial Bridge, and then the route of your choosing back up to the Tappanzee.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Couple years ago we stayed at Cherry Hill Park and then shot down 95 and subsequent roads to OBX. Had to stop before tunnel and was asked if our propane was off. It was, so off we went thru the tunnel. No problems. At the OBX, we stayed at the KOA as well. Very nice, tho the dog walk was so-so.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We did OBX as our first big trip. From Cape Cod we did the following route;

I-95 to I-287 over the Tappan Zee Bridge. We stayed overnight at FlaNet RV Park in NJ (not recommended), then we headed out I-78 to Harrisburg where we picked up I-81. I-81 to Winchester VA , we took US50/US17 to connect back to I-95. This misses all the traffic in Baltimore/DC and the propane restricted tunnels.

We stayed overnight at the Fredricksburg (VA) KOA and continued down I-95 to I-295 to I-64 thought Norfolk (turn off propane for the tunnel) and then down the Currituck Peninsula (168/158) across to Rt 12 down to OBX.

Rodanthe has several campgrounds. We stayed at the KOA which was fine, but no water view (dunes between the CG and the ocean). Ocean Waves has a bay side part that has water views.

Be sure to hit the First Flight Museum.
Jerry & Jeanne