Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boulder, CO to Salt Lake City, UT

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

This summer we are heading from Boulder to Salt Lake. We have lots of time to get there so picking the quickest route is not important. What is more important is to drive the most scenic and interesting route with the most interesting potential stops.

There are tree choices that seem logical:
1. Route 14 to 40.
2. Go north to 80, then west
3. Go south to 70, then west

For those who have personal experience what route would you recommend for being the most interesting?

Thanks in advance,
Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
7 REPLIES 7

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper thank you.

4runnerguy,

Your insite and suggestions were very helpful. I am sure as we dive deeper into planning I will have more questions.
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Thanks everyone, great advice.

We have been to Grand Junction, Black Canyon (hiked down to the river) and Moab so no need to head there now.

We seem to like the suggestions from Busskipper the best. I think the route along 70 staying at Leadville and touring around that area seams to be most to our liking. We love to hike and bicycle ride and I think we can spend endless amounts of time hiking. We also love to tour the small mountain towns. I think we will then head up to Dinosaur NM then off to SLC.

I think with our 600 hp engine we should have no problem crossing the pass along 70 heading out of Denver. We recently drove from Grand Junction through Ouray then south on the Million Dollar hwy to Durango. What a blast but want to see some new areas of CO now.

With this plan we will omit Fort Collins from our itinerary.

Glad I was able to Help - The truth is 4runnerguy is the Colorado expert, he would be a great resource - he is a Biker and has spent most, if not all his Life Out West and Knows this area well.(Really WELL)

If you have questions or are seeking specific advice on areas he Knows, all these areas Well. (Think you get the message, I have the utmost respect for his specific Knowledge of the area)

If you are going to spend some time in the area - RT 82 is a must (Size restricted so only in the toad) - RT 24 while only a short drive from Leadville to Minturn is also pretty special.

The Collegiates are just special to explore, many of the roads are easily traveled in a normal Auto then there are many great trails and other areas that can only be viewed with a True 4X4 Vehicle.

Along with all these special small towns you will discover a variety of Great eateries along the way.

Please enjoy the trip and Report back as to what you discover - Many will enjoy that read.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, great advice.

We have been to Grand Junction, Black Canyon (hiked down to the river) and Moab so no need to head there now.

We seem to like the suggestions from Busskipper the best. I think the route along 70 staying at Leadville and touring around that area seams to be most to our liking. We love to hike and bicycle ride and I think we can spend endless amounts of time hiking. We also love to tour the small mountain towns. I think we will then head up to Dinosaur NM then off to SLC.

I think with our 600 hp engine we should have no problem crossing the pass along 70 heading out of Denver. We recently drove from Grand Junction through Ouray then south on the Million Dollar hwy to Durango. What a blast but want to see some new areas of CO now.

With this plan we will omit Fort Collins from our itinerary.
Stuart & Leslie Offer

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I-80 has the easiest grades but is by far the least interesting.

I-70 out of Denver is a pretty good pull and can be pretty busy at certain times. But I-70 has good views and a variety of places to stop along the way.

US 40 west from Steamboat becomes less scenic as the miles pass. But the stops mentioned in and around Vernal are worth the stop.

Busskippers route is quite windy but very scenic. Between ghost towns, rafting, fishing, art shops, hiking, etc., one can spend a fair amount of time (days, weeks) between Leadville and Salida. Once over Monarch Pass, camp somewhere around Gunnison and drive the Jeep up past Crested Butte to Gothic and beyond. In late June through early August, this is a spectacular area to see miles of wildflowers. On US 50 after Blue Mesa Reservoir, keep an eye out for Cimarron. Turn in and park your rig. Take the jeep up the two or three miles to the end of the road, where you'll be in the bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It's a paved road but the turn around at the end may be a little tight for your rig, depending on where other vehicles are parked.

One alternative to his route from Boulder is to take CO 14 to US 40 and east to CO 9 and then CO 91 south to Leadville, etc. This avoids the pull up to the Eisenhower Tunnel.

If you don't want to go north on CO 133 to Glenwood Spgs and Aspen from Black Canyon (some great scenery up here though), just continue on US 50 to Grand Junction and connect back with I-70 there. While not the size or scope of the scenery around Moab, Colorado National Monument is worth a day to drive and take some of the short walks to scenic pullouts. If you do go up to GWS, head west on I-70 to Rifle and catch CO 13 north and then west on CO 64 through Rangely to Dinosaur if you want to get to Vernal that way.

Sorry this is rambling but post more questions if you need.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I would do your option #1. Poudre Canyon is scenic, with lots of good campgrounds for a self-contained RV that doesn't need hookups. North Park is ah, lonely is probably the best adjective. Steamboat Springs, by contrast, is booming. After that, you could visit Dinosaur National Park, the Utah Field House museum in Vernal, Park City, etc., before you get to SLC. You might even want to take a short detour to incredibly scenic Flaming Gorge Reservoir and the Uinta Mountains.

If you need some camping ideas along US 40, see my blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Hi all,

This summer we are heading from Boulder to Salt Lake. We have lots of time to get there so picking the quickest route is not important. What is more important is to drive the most scenic and interesting route with the most interesting potential stops.

There are tree choices that seem logical:
1. Route 14 to 40.
2. Go north to 80, then west
3. Go south to 70, then west

For those who have personal experience what route would you recommend for being the most interesting?

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

I've made that trip a few times along with many others out of the foothills Going West, so this will not be anything that resembles straight.

Boulder to Nederland

Then Peak to Peak South to Idaho Springs and I-70 west to

Through the Tunnel and Breck, then on to RT 91 South to Leadville

South on RT 24 to Buena Vista and Salida along with the Collegiates,

RT 50 West to Gunnison/Crested Butte

On to Black Canyon of the Gunnison before heading up RT 133 catching Marble/Crystal Mill - Red Stone - and on up to Aspen/Marron Bells

Now on up to Glenwood Springs and I-70 - Think About Rifle State Park before Catching Dino NM and on to Park City and Lake Jordanelle State Park or Park City RV Resort

Now You are just a short drive on I-80 into SLC.

Would that work?
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drop down get on 160 south to Cortez, then 491 NW to 191. Follow 191 with a zigzag on 70 north to 6 then that north to Provo. I15 north from there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper