cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Calif 299 between Redding and Arcata

esbeasley
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone done this route ? In the truck atlas it shows as a non-designated truck route. I was wondering about taking a 34' fifth wheel across it. Thanks !
'13 Chevy 3500HD LTZ;D/A;CC;4WD
2014 Big Horn 3070
MorRyde IS/Disk brakes
17 REPLIES 17

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:

36 Red Bluff to Almanor is a snoozer. A few curves at Lassen Lodge, and some minor curves going over Morgan Summit east of Mineral. The rest is good straight road with lots of turnouts. Living in the Almanor area I drive it multiple times per year without any problem. It is a restful drive, even towing in snow.

Well it wasn't much of a snoozer for us on that particular trip.
Had a lot of weight on, driving for most of the day and a carsick dawg with a grouchy wife on-board lol...

Pretty much have never had good memories with 36 for some reason.
Bad luck road for us...lost a complete tent in rainstorm along there years back from the rack on our old Landcruiser.
Ahh the memories ๐Ÿ™‚

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
The 299 is being widened and a lot of the curves removed between Whiskey Town Lake and Weaverville. Still has a grade, and down the other side into Junction City, just watch the down hill speed. Several spots of road work and bridge widening that will cause a little slow up east of Willow Creek, but from Willow Creek on is about 45 mins to the coast. Just there 2 weeks ago. I highly recommend Big Foot Grill in Willow Creek for a food stop!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy. 36 out of Red Bluff is good for motorcycles and goats:):):)

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
36 isn't for every traveler. It requires skill, good equipment, and an enjoyment of mountain driving ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Thats_Ok wrote:
scroller95969 wrote:
Just don't take Hwy. 36 to the coast from Red Bluff. Did that once pulling a trailer and was not happy.

...Like an idiot I tried it from Red Bluff to Almanor last year pulling 30 foot fiver.
We were so beat after getting to Rocky Point.
Me will never do that again!

????

36 Red Bluff to Almanor is a snoozer. A few curves at Lassen Lodge, and some minor curves going over Morgan Summit east of Mineral. The rest is good straight road with lots of turnouts. Living in the Almanor area I drive it multiple times per year without any problem. It is a restful drive, even towing in snow.

Back to the OP -- 299 is a mountain road with grades and curves. No worse than any other mountain road, and better than many.

36 Red Bluff to Arcata is a white knuckler for towing. I've done it, prefer not to do it again. It is fun with a sports car or motorcycle.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

elkhorn98
Explorer
Explorer
36 between red bluff and lake almanor is like a walk in the park compared to the other side that goes to the coast.
Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 tires

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
scroller95969 wrote:
Just don't take Hwy. 36 to the coast from Red Bluff. Did that once pulling a trailer and was not happy.

36 is a pain even in the other direction!
Like an idiot I tried it from Red Bluff to Almanor last year pulling 30 foot fiver.
We were so beat after getting to Rocky Point.
Me will never do that again!

scroller95969
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff & Lori
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 22B - Chevy chassis
10' Wells cargo trailer
Gracie Mae - our 9 year old Papillon

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
299 is a good road.....it is not a freeway!! I pulled my 5ver over and back many times with no problems.

X2 never had a problem....pretty country!

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
We pulled our 32 ft fiver westbound on that route a couple of years ago. Beautiful and scenic BUT steep and curvy!! have not been that way since.
John

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Marv Hoag. It depends on where you are headed. For years we drove 36 because it was handy. Certainly not for everyone :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
From I-5 there are three routes into northern CA. Hwy 199 from Grants Pass into Crescent City, Hwy 299 from Redding to Arcata, and Hwy 20 from Williams to Hwy 101 towards Willits. I've used all three of these routes. I don't prefer one over the other. They all have their plus and minuses. All three will have truck traffic. Which hwy to use depends on where you're coming from and where you're headed. Which ever way you travel, it is not fast, so enjoy the journey.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
299 is a good road.....it is not a freeway!! I pulled my 5ver over and back many times with no problems.
cpaulsen

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been over 'ole 299 in a while.
Thing my DW always says is "shorts and tank top in Redding...hoody and long pants in Arcata" or vice-versa ๐Ÿ™‚