cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calif Hwy 101

dmcgiffin
Explorer
Explorer
We want to drive from LA area to Astoria Oregon on Hwy 101 with our 38' motorhome and toad. Is this entire route easily done with our setup. Wife is not a fan of narrow roads with cliffs. Traffic doesn't really bother me and would probably stay on 101 thur the bay area unless I hear otherwise. Looking forward to input from my fellow RVers.
Doug and Cathy
2005 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme 37'
Tow Dolly with 2012 Chevy Malibu
23 REPLIES 23

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Caltrans (formerly the more aptly named Division of Highways as all the do is roads and bridges in the state) has been widening and straightening and flattening Hwy 101 for the past 50 years at enormous cost for the benefit of the trucking industry. RVers' may as well take advantage of this with their rigs.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for all the info. It sounds like an adventure that we will do on our way back closer to spring.
I used to haul logs and steep cliffs and drop offs do not bother me. DW is a different story so coming back she will be on the high side.Ha Ha.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
In reading posts some folks confuse Hwy 1 with Hwy 101.

Hwy 1 is not for big RVs.

Hwy 101 is just fine - no drop-offs - nothing scary. Plan to spend a night at Ancient Redwoods RV and take your towed vehicle for some great views of the redwoods and walk the easy trails near 101. It's a beautiful area. The whole trip is great. Have a good one! (But stay off Hwy 1 with your RV) 🙂

What 2gypsies said. Beautiful drive on the 101, plenty of pull-offs to enjoy and the road is mostly four lane. I totally agree with staying at Ancient Redwoods RV, we stayed there two or three nights, VERY nice place and the owners are really friendly. You can't go wrong taking in the 101! Happy camping

Dan

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigdog wrote:
Going back and checking Caltrans,the section from 101 junction to Legget is closed to Motorhomes over 40',except for a couple of sections. If I remember correctly,there is a sign past Marin City going north on #1,at the intersection of the Panoramic highway,that says buses and vehicles over 30' prohibited beyond this point.
The last time I drove that section northbound,I was in my suburban,it was VERY foggy and I had some crazy woman in a BIG BMW sedan pushing me hard. She passed me on a blind curve and 1/2 mile later pulled off in a coffee stop.

Nope, so such sign on the 30'. Most of Highway 1 along the coast is restricted to 40 foot and under which is why I put that right in my post. I've done Highway 1 in my 35' motorhome with toad numerous times. If you are afraid of heights and aren't comfortable with curves, then stay off Highway 1. Otherwise it's fine for a 40 foot and under motorhome. The section South of SF is easier than the section North of SF.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Going back and checking Caltrans,the section from 101 junction to Legget is closed to Motorhomes over 40',except for a couple of sections. If I remember correctly,there is a sign past Marin City going north on #1,at the intersection of the Panoramic highway,that says buses and vehicles over 30' prohibited beyond this point.
The last time I drove that section northbound,I was in my suburban,it was VERY foggy and I had some crazy woman in a BIG BMW sedan pushing me hard. She passed me on a blind curve and 1/2 mile later pulled off in a coffee stop.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigdog wrote:
Regardless of what some others have said,the run either up or down the coast is an awesome experience and can be done in any weather. It's just that in the winter you need to make sure,you have well functioning windshield wipers and a good umbrella. (there are also a heck of a lot less vehicles on the road in the winter also)

Although I always tell people that Highway 1 is doable in an under 40 foot motorhome, I'd have to say use a lot of caution if you want to travel in the winter months as there are many sections that are prone to mudslides both in Southern sections and the Northern sections. You may find yourself stranded out there, especially with the kind of rain were getting so far this winter.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
In reading posts some folks confuse Hwy 1 with Hwy 101.

Hwy 1 is not for big RVs.

Hwy 101 is just fine - no drop-offs - nothing scary. Plan to spend a night at Ancient Redwoods RV and take your towed vehicle for some great views of the redwoods and walk the easy trails near 101. It's a beautiful area. The whole trip is great. Have a good one! (But stay off Hwy 1 with your RV) 🙂

Highway 1 and Highway 101 are one in the same in some areas, like going through SF and across the GG bridge. And the OP has a 38' motorhome to he could do Highway 1 if he wanted too, but he said the wife doesn't like windy roads and cliffs so probably best for him to stick to 101.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bigdog!We may give it a try.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of what some others have said,the run either up or down the coast is an awesome experience and can be done in any weather. It's just that in the winter you need to make sure,you have well functioning windshield wipers and a good umbrella. (there are also a heck of a lot less vehicles on the road in the winter also)
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a photo I took on Hwy101 a few months ago. It's near Florence, OR - a wonderful stretch of scenic highway.

-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading south to Yuma in Jan. We were thinking on traveling down that way. Is it worthwhile this time of year or no.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Take note of what CA Traveler mentioned about the Oregon pull-offs. If traveling northbound it's easier and safer to park the RV and take the towed vehicle siteseeing. Plan to make about 4-5 stops for a few nights along Oregon so you can enjoy every inch of it. It's an awesome coastline! It's very difficult to exit and enter the pull-offs while traveling north. It's easier to do traveling southbound.

Hope you're not planning that trip now. If you're retired or have a flexible schedule, May/June or Sept/Oct are perfect months. We've done it both and lucked out on excellent weather.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
After Santa Barbera 101 is inland freeway to the bay area. It doesn't return to the coast until Eurika. It's CA 1 that winds along the coast cliffs, both south and north of SF.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't take 101 through SF instead take 19th Ave off of 280 and stay in the center lane. About 6 miles of city traffic. Past SFO 380 is a short route to 280. From SJ 85, 280 is the best route. Right lane is required on the GG and it's actually 1' wider than the other lanes.

Almost all of the OR pulloffs are on the ocean side on a curve with little warning or oncoming traffic visibility.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob