cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camping on/near Cabot Trail

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive my ignorance-i'm trying so hard to get a handle on the cabot trail and cape breton.

another couple and i have tried for the better part of the day to find a cg which is convenient to the cabot tail.
i don't think we want to take our rigson the trail so we're looking to stay in either badden or kluskap.
there is a passport america park on jersey cove, but i'm concerned about the approach to get there.
any first hand experience from you guys would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino
Fulltimers Travelin' the U.S.A.
"All who wander are Not Lost"
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 42',Cat 525
4 REPLIES 4

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
You probably don't want to take rigs on trail. Folks do it; we did it in our 24 foot class C (no toad) but I told hubby there is no way i hell I would do it again. Car yes. It was a new to us rv and he failed to check the brakes like I asked. Steep up and downs kind of....more fun in car.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
btw, a trip to fort louisburg should be on your agenda, plan on a full day, camp nearby then take the southern route around the bottom of cape Breton. its a little rougher than the main highway but the canal at st peters is worth a visit
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we've been to the cabot trail many times, my sister lives on the trail near the English town ferry. baddeck is a nice central point, you can do the trail from either direction easily, in fact do it both ways!

there is a nice cg near the ferry, but ferry is tricky with an rv especially at low tide

a really nice side trip is up to meat cove, the very northern tip of cape Breton, there is a cg up there but very rustic and I wouldn't take an rv or trailer up there because of the rough road, tents, small tent trailers or off road capable rv's only

you can tow or drive an rv/trailer around the cabot trail BUT be careful, the hills are not long but short and very steep with switchbacks. old smokey for example is a short but very steep climb/drop with switchbacks and a hairpin curve at the bottom, that's on the atlantic ocean side. having said that, tractor/trailers and school buses do it everyday
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground when we did this trip. Stayed there in a MH and took the toad around the trail. It's a very nice campground and located conveniently to the trail.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S