cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Denali

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
How many days should we allot to Denali?
12 REPLIES 12

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
jnharley wrote:
According to park information, the average stay in Denali is less than 48 hours.

Maybe because of all the tours.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed 6 nights at the Riley Campground and enjoyed every minute. There are some really easy hikes that one can do. I tore the meniscus in my knee during our Alaska trip and I was limping around with a big brace on my knee. With the use of hiking poles, I was able to to the easy hikes. According to park information, the average stay in Denali is less than 48 hours.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
We spent five days at Denali, and we were glad that we did. First couple of days it was rainy/gloomy and didn't see much. Then the weather cleared and we saw the mountain a few times and different types of wildlife. The longer you are able to stay, the more likely you will see the mountain (many don't).

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
JMO but TEK is a huge advantage over Riley, at the entrance, or anything outside the park. TEK is 45 min bus ride inside the park. When the Riley people are in line waiting on the bus the TEK people are only just crawling out of their beds.

At the end of the day, when everyone has had enough of being jostled around in a school bus, the TEK people are first off the bus & headed for a nice comphy chair. The Riley people have another 45 min of jiggly bus to put up with.

TEK people have no WIFI, no cell service, no power. Big deal! This is Denali. The world will continue to turn without us connected to it for a few days.

And, unless it has changed, you only pay for the first bus trip when you make your reservation for TEK. All other rides are free as long as there is an empty seat on the bus. We rode it at least once a day for four days with no problems. I believe if you ride from Riley or Savage River, you would have to pay for each bus ride.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JMO but TEK is a huge advantage over Riley, at the entrance, or anything outside the park. TEK is 45 min bus ride inside the park. When the Riley people are in line waiting on the bus the TEK people are only just crawling out of their beds.

At the end of the day, when everyone has had enough of being jostled around in a school bus, the TEK people are first off the bus & headed for a nice comphy chair. The Riley people have another 45 min of jiggly bus to put up with.

TEK people have no WIFI, no cell service, no power. Big deal! This is Denali. The world will continue to turn without us connected to it for a few days.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
pyoung47 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, "Tek" is booked, but we can get a spot at Riley, which we probably will. Neither my wife or I are physically able to do the hiking to really see the back country, so we will be as one poster termed it a "seat warmer." I guess that is what I do when I go to a football game as well, since I can't play.

No real advantage of TEK since you will riding the bus to see the park. At Riley I think there is WIFI at the store. I stayed 2 weeks at TEK. I took the first bus AM to see wildlife. Came back for lunch them took the last PM bus again. Each trip I saw different wildlife. Some days I saw the mountain some days not One bus ticket is good for as many trips as you want if there is space on the bus.

If I go again, I will stay at Riley for 2 weeks. AK is a long drive -- I suggest you stay the full summer. Arrive as soon as the snow melts and leave with the first snow.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, "Tek" is booked, but we can get a spot at Riley, which we probably will. Neither my wife or I are physically able to do the hiking to really see the back country, so we will be as one poster termed it a "seat warmer." I guess that is what I do when I go to a football game as well, since I can't play.

Book a flight with Denali Air, you will see a lot more than the buss, but do both if you can.

We will be there in the morning.

Weather is beautiful.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
For us it has been the multiple days at Tek, to allow for possible weather, & simply a more laid back visit rather than a cruise ship styled rush, rush, rush. The animals don't care if you are on a tight schedule. They don't have duty stations. Where there is nothing today might have something tomorrow.

Our experience as well. Three or four days at Tek with daily bus rides will give you the best chance of seeing the mountain and the most animals. The early morning ride has the best chance of seeing the mountain before it generates its own weather and is blocked by the clouds. You may want to peruse our our stop at Tek and the bus trip back to Kantishna on our blog to see if you think it's worth it. We wouldn't give anything for the experience.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, depends. The hiker needs days. The bus seat warmer can do it in a day. In between somewhere the majority visit.

For us it has been the multiple days at Tek, to allow for possible weather, & simply a more laid back visit rather than a cruise ship styled rush, rush, rush. The animals don't care if you are on a tight schedule. They don't have duty stations. Where there is nothing today might have something tomorrow.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I'll probably get flamed, but....I might suggest either "0" or "at least 21"

- If you are an active camper/hiker, get dropped off in the backcountry and spend several days seeing the country and the animals that one simply can't see from a quick (or even relatively quick like the bus) road trip

- If you're more into "checking the box", spend a 1/2 day going into the park visitor center, part of the time in L.A. North/Glitter Gulch, then get out of there and head on to Squarebanks or Los Anchorage

- If one wants to see stuff, but not take 3 weeks of camping, spend more time and $$ outside the park taking flightseeing trips from other places. Scenery is better and you get more scenery for time spent. Denali Air (as mentioned above) and K2/Rusts come recommended by acquaintances who have used them.

- The bus ride into the park is OK, but it can range from almost hitting animals to "See that black spot on the ridge over there? That's a bear."

- If seeing the Mountain is the goal, book a stay in Talkeetna for 3-4 days, commune with the hippies, and at least twice, if not three times a day, drive out of town (circa 5-7 miles) and then drive back in: you'll get spectacular views of McKinley if it's out without having to put up with the hassle of the park crowds.

N.B.: the park isn't always overcrowded and it is a good place to visit, despite my cynicism. However, one can see more scenery and more country in better ways and I will freely admit to my view of the park being tainted by glitter gulch which is an abomination IMNSHO. FWIW, other than an extended camping, not RV'ng, trip (meaning one involving tents), the bus trip in is one of the better ways to possibly see wildlife on a trip through Alaska.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
How many days should we allot to Denali?

Really is dependent upon what you want to do.

Lots of hiking and camping remote require weeks.

the bus ride and dog show only require 1 or 2 days.

Always go to Denali Air, (across the highway) and take the flight.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.