cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canada - Alaska Theft Concerns

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Been planning our first 3 month mid May Canada & Alaska trip for 2 years now. We have 2 trailers and are taking our 25 foot TT and leaving the big 5ver home.

An issue with the TT is the huge lack of storage. My wife wants most of the small under belly storage for her plastic bins. -- I plan on putting some items in the back seat of our crew cab. But since we are traveling with friends we know we may need the back seat for them on some side trips.

I have an 8 foot truck bed and plan on taking my 2 Honda 2000 generators, tool box, Craftsman compressor, jug of diesel & gas, propane, small propane fire pit, large aluminum lockable box/trunk for misc truck & fuel items. My wife says it will all get stolen without something like a camper shell or Tonneau cover.

I told her I'm not buying an expensive camper shell for one trip. We have a 5ver to tow sometimes and no place to store a shell. I guess a Tonneau cover could work if it is a tri fold and not a tilt up, because I want to be able to stand up in the truck bed to work and access things. And would a Tonneau really stop easy theft?

So anyway to those of you who have made this trip before, should we be worried about theft, how did you handle truck bed storage, and any relevant advice please.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS
35 REPLIES 35

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself some good quality chain and a few hvy duty locks. Now secure the Honda Gens, Tool box and all other items that are valuable to the truck body and COVER all securely and you will be all right! Place them in ackward positions in truck bed.

Watch how you park the bed of truck.... do not leave as "target" when you stop to eat and shop. Park close to store fronts if one can.... people passing will discourge all but the professional theives.

I seen people who were moving from disaster area's and become willing to steal out of anger for their situation.
Those people hang near truck stops in numbers and watch your movements and distract you while someone grabs "item" left in plain sight.

I have traveled 80K miles (ten different trips) across country and never had anything removed from 8 ft bed with Tonneau cover, while pulling 17' trailer.
I was purposely distracted by two woman while I sat in driver's seat, but quickly got "moved my Rig", out of there.

You will be alright, plenty of diligence.
See ya on down the road!
SAFBVET.....

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
Buy something used and sell it on Craigslist when you get back.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have a locking roll type hard tonneau cover on my long bed. Covers my 5th wheel hitch and whatever else in the bed when not towing. Or can pull it back to just in front of the hitch when towing to cover just the front of the bed. Or roll it all the way in for access to the front of the bed. With the cover and tailgate locked, it keeps honest people honest. But would not stop a determined thief.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I always suggest a Softopper Cap, it is a folding cap. Out of sight out of mind.

$750 for an 8' bed.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of folks live in fear about theft, or travel in really bad areas? Where does all this fear about theft come from? Is it rampent in snow-bird areas, is it age specific, is it hearsay from a friend of a friend who knew a guy that got robbed?

In over 60,000 miles that I have traveled (not just RV'd, including Alaska and around Europe), I've never had anything stolen from my home, my motel room, my luggage, my campsite, my trailer, my car, my truck (no cover, no shell) or my person.

Maybe my head is in the sand about just how dangerous this world we live in is, but from what I've experienced I just don't see the reason for worry.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Anything valuable left out in the open is ripe for theft. You would be tempting fate more than you know. Unless you conceal the items well, they could easily get stolen. Will they? Hard to guess but I bet you would come home with less than when you started!