Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Maryland to Smith Mountain Lake SP, VA

Dragonfly75
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning,

I don't post much on these boards, mostly lurking 🙂

Leaving in a week headed to Smith Mountain Lake State Park in Huddleston, VA I think the area is. I have a friend down there now giving me heads up on road conditions for my TT might be a bit sketchy for windy roads and wind.

We have a 30' TT and 2001 Ford Diesel Excursion pulling us down. A bit nervous with standing on brakes and windy roads with 2 kids in the back seat.

So, my experience road travelers.... What route would you suggest our family to take without me having to use my imaginary passenger brake pedal heading there? 🙂

Thanks, Cyndi
7 REPLIES 7

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Dragonfly75 wrote:
I'm coming from Westminster area. My friend mentioned winding roads and a lil bit of wind coming off mountains I'm guessing. We know to avoid the DC traffic. Too many trips to Williamsburg cussing at the traffic.

I noticed Google map gave the option of I81 down most of the way and the other was 29 and somewhere thru Lyncheburg. Just wanted to be sure of route safe and easy enough to pull 30' Forest River Salem TT and a big ole Ford Excursion without frying our brakes.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate you! ??

You won't have any problems on either 81 or 29. I live here so trust me you will be fine. I have a 35' Forest River Flagstaff. If you come through Lynchburg, US 29 bypasses Lynchburg and will join US 460 for a bit. Just stay on 460 west until you reach SR 122 in Bedford.

Dragonfly75
Explorer
Explorer
I'm coming from Westminster area. My friend mentioned winding roads and a lil bit of wind coming off mountains I'm guessing. We know to avoid the DC traffic. Too many trips to Williamsburg cussing at the traffic.

I noticed Google map gave the option of I81 down most of the way and the other was 29 and somewhere thru Lyncheburg. Just wanted to be sure of route safe and easy enough to pull 30' Forest River Salem TT and a big ole Ford Excursion without frying our brakes.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate you! ??

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Follow I-81 south to exit 150 north of Roanoke. Get on US 220-A to Bonsack, about 5 miles.

Turn left on to US 460 east toward Bedford.

At Bedford, get on SR 122 toward Rocky Mount. There will be signs for the state park near Moneta. Turn left on to route 608, White House Road to get to route 626 (Smith Mountain Lake Parkway). The park itself is on SR 626 and will be on the right.

Note, if you cross the lake over Hales Ford Bridge you will have gone too far.

This route will be relatively easy and mountain free.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Dragonfly75 wrote:
Good Morning,

I don't post much on these boards, mostly lurking 🙂

Leaving in a week headed to Smith Mountain Lake State Park in Huddleston, VA I think the area is. I have a friend down there now giving me heads up on road conditions for my TT might be a bit sketchy for windy roads and wind.

We have a 30' TT and 2001 Ford Diesel Excursion pulling us down. A bit nervous with standing on brakes and windy roads with 2 kids in the back seat.

So, my experience road travelers.... What route would you suggest our family to take without me having to use my imaginary passenger brake pedal heading there? 🙂

Thanks, Cyndi

My guess is Columbia area to Smith Mountain Lake State Park, for ease of driving I'd head over to I-81 then getting off at Rt 220 and follow the GPS to the park. It looks like the ride on Rt 43 might not be to your liking (Mountains and Curves) IMHO 81 is an easier drive than 95 and 29 has just too many lights, so for the extra 10 minutes the drive takes, just take the easy driving route.

As is normal in the Metro area avoid the rush and enjoy the drive.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why your friend is telling you about possible windy conditions. Does he mean the Bay Bridge? 81?

Hard to say without route and vehicle info.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where in Maryland you are, but once you get close to Lynchburg via either US 29 or US 460 which are both good, stay on 460 to Bedford, take 122 south and follow signs to state park.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay to the west of DC (I70, I81) or to the east of DC (US301, I95, I64, US29. You don't want to get caught in DC rush hour traffic, which runs from 5-10AM and 2-7PM. I live in northern VA so I know the traffic here all too well. If you try traveling through DC (I95) even overnight you may face construction. Smith Mountain Lake is a neat place. Enjoy.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A