cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Change in amount from ATMs ??

Usk_Coastie
Explorer
Explorer
Last few years or so we have been able to pull as much as $40000 MXP per day per card from ATMs on the west coast of Mexico.

This year on our way down the coast we were only able to get $5000 MXP per day per card from the ATMs in San Carlos, Mazatlan, PV, and Melaque.

We asked our banker at Intercam about this and his answer was that all ATMs were supposed to be limited to $5000 MXP per day. This is due to changes in Mexican banking laws.

Fortunately we have completed our construction project and no longer require the high peso withdrawals to make payroll and purchase construction materials.

Has anyone else run into this ATM limitation?
22 REPLIES 22

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
So Scotiabank is some 3rd world bank??? Mex: You are way off in this thread and what you posted makes no sense. People are posting their ACTUAL experiences and you are accusing them of being gossips.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Banamex owned by Citibank at the ATM's you can only do a 6,000,00 peso withdrawl per day, if you go in the bank to the teller you can withdraw as much as you need.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned BanaMex and BanComer not the royal bank of Sri Lanka. The limits apply to Baja California Sur, BC. Sonora, and Jesรบs tells me Michoacan. So E Caveat Emptor. Be prepared. Why not use Krona in Chile? It offers the perfect mechanism for shifty or ignorant transactions.

This was a head's up not a master's thesis on banking cajero automatico policy.

Usk_Coastie
Explorer
Explorer
All of the withdrawals were at Bank ATMs except for PV which was at Costco. For those who prefer to pay with cash this could be a problem. I recall a post awhile back where someone got charged an extra $800 or so by an unscrupulous Pemex in Los Mochis. Of course when I stopped in Los Mochis for fuel the pump person tried the 500/50 peso switch trick.
I guess I'll just have to leave Mexico with enough Pesos to get back down to Perula.At least with the Sprinter its not $2000 pesos a fill up like the class A we had.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
mexwanerere: Maybe the max rate is state wide. But individual machines have different rates depending on location. Scotiabank in HMO is around 34 pesos. But in an Oxxo is about 85 pesos.

Talleyho69
HSBC country wide allows 15,000p per day. Fee is 33.3p. That's as of this morning. Each bank sets it's own limits as to how much you can get.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
BanaMex and BanComer have limits. Read it and weep. I have been using Banorte and HSBC to circumvent the rule. But they too may change. It. Is. Not. General. Banking. Regulations. it is up to each individual bank. And rates are set by banking zone, usually the state. It really helps to find this out from and branch managers and not gossip, print media or hyperventilating travel guide writers.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Your Banker has given you bad information. Last year we were withdrawing 6000 pesos from most machines. This year I have found a few that gave me 8000 pesos. Stay away from machines in places like Oxxo. They limit the amounts and charge outrageous fees Usually the machines in Wal mart give at least 6000. The business that houses the ATM gets a portion of the fees. In tourist areas they get greedy and charge high fees and low withdrawals. If you go right to the bank fees are more reasonable.

Moisheh