cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Change in amount from ATMs ??

Usk_Coastie
Explorer
Explorer
Last few years or so we have been able to pull as much as $40000 MXP per day per card from ATMs on the west coast of Mexico.

This year on our way down the coast we were only able to get $5000 MXP per day per card from the ATMs in San Carlos, Mazatlan, PV, and Melaque.

We asked our banker at Intercam about this and his answer was that all ATMs were supposed to be limited to $5000 MXP per day. This is due to changes in Mexican banking laws.

Fortunately we have completed our construction project and no longer require the high peso withdrawals to make payroll and purchase construction materials.

Has anyone else run into this ATM limitation?
22 REPLIES 22

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
who cares? get what you can when you need it, if you can't get what you think you need then the bank has a limit or your credit has a limit.......it is obvious that different ATM machines have different limits......so what? It may not work like where you are from but that really is of little consequence to those who live here, get along little doggy and don't worry about it. Proving yourself right in a forum is like nailing jello to a tree, it is stupid, do what you need to.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g150800-i164-k9098139-ATM_Withdrawal_Limits-Mexico_City_Cent... Here is a link to a trip advisor site where people routinely were getting over 7000 pesos.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Don't forget that your personal ATM limit is also in effect in Mexico, so it you can only withdraw $500 in the US or Canada, that's your limit anywhere in the world.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Ask and ye shall receive. I don't have the atm slips but there is part of my bank statement. I will let you do the math. I checked the exchange rates using xe.com. Your calculations wont be exact but it is clear that I withdrew 8000 and once it was 9000! I wont be near that ATM for awhile but the next time I will save the slip. Oct.4 19.23, oct.6 19,23,oct.24 18.58 and Oct 14 was 19.04. I did find that my Canadian card will not give me more than 6000 even though the limit is far higher. I called the bank and they said that is how they set up foreign transactions. But I can do multiple withdrawals one after the other. Most machines will not dispense over 60000. It is a strange bank. Something like HVB. It appears that the limits are set by the bank in Mexico as well as your home bank. How would you like your crow: Boiled or fried? I have some other comments but will keep them to myself. On edit I am having trouble posting the statement but will correct this soon.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Remember you accusing me on this forum of YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE IN MEXICO?

So I have you a direct dial to Michoacan 011-52 number to call me.

You wanted soooooo baddddd to try the number and find me not there. The disappointment in your voice when I answered was palpable, a comedy in ludicrous form.

I kept you on line for most of an hour hoping the fifty dollar phone charge would penetrate an inch thick skull. I failed. It must be four inches thick.

You do not live here. My experiences are today and yesterday. GET OFF YOUR BUTT cross the border, try and get more than 6,000 pesos, then post the picture of the receipt. You cannot read? Most of these posts are MONTHS OLD.

But you, being the classic alarmist hot dog, know all and say even more. You are FOS sir. I post a head's up and you argue. Only a fool does that.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mex: I try to ignore some of your fictitious posts as I respect your PAST experience but sometimes you go over the edge. Almost everything you posted in this thread has been disputed by others with their actual experience. I have never tried over 8000 pesos but do get the 8000 anytime I want. I have NEVER gotten pesos from a teller with my debit card. Heck I haven't been at a teller except to pay government fees for more than 15 years. If the regulations changed ( I doubt it)please give us some links.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh once again you could not hit the international border with an intermediate range ballistic missile and you are telling me what I am not seeing in person down here. Why not bring five thousand dollars in cash and bet me? I need the money.

The manager of BANK NUMBER NINE BANORTE told me 1:00PM no bank he knows of has greater than 8,000 pesos extraction.

And NO FREAKING BANK will give pesos at the teller with an extraneous ATM Card. NONE ZERO Not a centavo.

This regulation went into effect a week ago Moishe. Of course you can claim you saw the USA version of the Chupacabra dart across an Arizona highway holding a Clinton For President flag,

BAD INFORMATION GETS PEOPLE INTO TROUBLE. I wrote a heads up. You want to lock your New York City Horns over my advice. Get over it. Try and extract the limit and the machine commission is added RIGHT THEN AND THERE. What your bank does when and where is another issue.

Believe me I am not experienced with Israel or Tanzania banking.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents worth.

We use only debit cards from US credit unions.

We only get money from cajero automaticos at bank location whenever possible - we go out of our way - no stand alone kiosks - true in US as well as Mexico.

We almost never pay fees even if the machine says we will be paying a fee - whatever system we are in has arrangements of some kind I do not understand.

We almost never use credit cards unless absolutely necessary - true in US also.

We never get large amounts of cash - true in US also. The most we get is $5,000mx at a time - in the US maybe $300US. We are allowed $500 US but could raise it if we want. We don't need much cash in Mexico. Our biggest expenditures are usually fueling our Bus which would be in the $2,000mx to $3,000mx range.

Of all the bank machines we have found we think CI banks have the lowest rates - while Bancomer or Santander down the street are charging as much as $80mx the CI bank is charging $15mx. Here are lists of some CI Bank locations for those interested.

http://www.cibanco.com/storage/Sucursales_CIBanco.pdf

http://www.cibanco.com/storage/suctddjul20101.pdf

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mex: You are wrong again. There are some US banks that reimburse you for
withdrawal fees from any ATM. I think one of the brokerage houses with a bank does that as well. BTW:I get 8000 pesos from one machine all the time. So much for limits.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention that the 16000 peso withdrawl was done at the teller and not the ATM, only 6000 pesos at the machine per day alawed by Banamex.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
HSBC ATM at Mexican SAT Customs Tijuana today 6,000 pesos maximum limit. Things change in 3 seconds, this is today's news not 2 weeks ago. All 200 peso bills.

I am merely saying DO NOT BANK ON A HUGE PESO WITHDRAWAL. Not any more.

Multiple extractions make multiple service charges. In the case of BanComer 116.2 pesos bank charges for 12,000 peso extraction. THERE ARE NO USA OR CANADA bank company exceptions. Ask the cursing lady at the Scotia Bank ATM in Ensenada today.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of weeks ago I withdrew 16.000 pesos in 500's, 100's, 50's, 20's and 200 pesos in coins, the bundle is about 2" inches and for the Canadians a little more than 5cm. my wife goes with me to block the view as I quarter turn to slip the bundle on my right front pocket, I also wear a really long "T" shirt, can not pay the mason and carpenter and painter with a credit card, they get pain in cash every Friday.

Just be aware of your surrounding and specially of individuals loitering around an ATM machine, and before you insert the card give the card reader a hefty pull, you might get to be the proud owner of a card reader.

navegator

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
15,000 pesos is thirty 500 peso bills. That is quite a wad of money and might be the physical limitations of the ATM. That money slot is only so big. Are they stocking the ATMs on the west coast with 1000 peso bills?

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
When my wife opened a debit account with Banamex last year we were informed that we could only draw 6,000 pesos per day, the reason being to stop people getting mugged and being forced to withdraw all the money in the account or the max that the credit card allows, in essence they are protecting the card holder with only one withdrawal per day at all the machines, not just from the bank that issued the card but different banks and this is not speculation or hearsay, that is what the officer at the bank informed us when we opened the account.

When we need to withdraw more money I go in the bank to a teller and withdraw the amount that we need for the week, month, we can only transfer $1,000.00 USD per day from the Citibank account in San Diego to the Banamex account in Mexico done via internet.

navegator