cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

circuit NoCal to Colorado to NM to Tuscon and back

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Ready to plan a big circuit tour per title. Planning to start mid September, back by early November. We really like the natural outdoors and national parks (no big cities).

We did the Utah big 5 last year + North Rim GC, so we will probably look for something different.

Thinking about I-80 to Salt Lake, then open to ideas from there. The main areas I want hit will be SW Colorado. Should we just hit all the way north on 80 through Laramie Wy, then head south zig zagging through the state? NOT interested in Denver. What will my Colorado must see place be? How about further south into NM? We do want to hit Tuscon and southern AZ on the way back.

Thanks. Half the fun is in the planning.
5 REPLIES 5

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocky Mountain National Park is a good place to start, if you want to keep with your idea to take I-80 all the way across to Laramie WY, and then down into Colorado. September and October in RMNP is such a great time to be there, with the colours changing and the elk bugling.

Inside the park, Moraine Park CG will still be operating under the summer reservation system through Sept 27, after which B Loop becomes first come/first served. Sites there are typically booked solid through the end of the reservation period, so getting a site could be difficult. Aspenglen CG is open through Sept 27 as well, but is also usually booked completely through the end of the season. Glacier Basin closes on Sept 7, so that won't be an option for you. All of these are on the east/Estes Park side of the park. There's also Timber Creek on the west side, it's all first come/first served and is open until Nov 1. If this is something that would interest you, look in to coming in to that area via US 40 from Steamboat Springs as a viable alternative route. US 40 also could be an I-80 alternative for you, from SLC area all the way across northern Colorado to Rocky.

Some of the private campgrounds in Estes Park will still be open in September/early October. CLICK HERE for RV park reviews for the Estes Park area. Note that mot of them are pricy; Estes Park CG at Mary's Lake and East Portal are run by the Estes Park Recreation and Parks District, and their prices are more reasonable.

Most of the USFS CG in the area start to close in September, starting the 1st or 2nd week. Few will be open beyond Sept 15.

If you decide to go to Rocky, you could then leave via the Peak-to-Peak Highway (CO7/CO72) that runs from Estes Park through Ward and Nederland and on to Blackhawk/Central City. You could then follow the suggestions from 4runnerguy for the central and SW part of the state, with a variety of options to get there. That Arkansas River Valley area from Leadville to Salida is very impressive, with lots to see and do there.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky Mountain National Park is a good place to start before dropping into Southern Colorado. But if you aren't interested in the eastern slope I would leave it for another time. There is so much to see in Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona I think you should decide if you want mountains or desert and go from there. I could easily spend two months in the southern deserts from four corners south and like wise in the higher country to the east and north. September thru November can be an awesome time in that part of the world and it can be pure winter hell, so be prepared to head out for warmer climate at any time. Good travelling.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
You'll want to head straight for the San Juans in SW CO as the aspen change is generally around the third week. One problem you will face is CG's begin closing between early Sept. and late Oct. Snow, frozen water lines, etc. make it difficult to keep CG's open.

Other places to hit that are a little more off the beaten track: Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Dinosaur NM and the Vernal area (the Utah Field House in Vernal is a nice accompaniment to the bone wall at Dinosaur), Hovenweep and Canyons of the Ancients in SW CO and SE UT (visit the Anasazi Heritage Center near Dolores for lots of info). (The latter couple along with Mesa Verde are more user friendly into October compared to some high mountain locations.) The Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad runs into the fall, but trips sell out very quickly for those wanting to view the aspen.

The upper Arkansas River Valley between Leadville and Salida has lots of different recreational opportunities. The (gravel) road to Hancock above St. Elmo has huge hillsides full of aspen. Of course the aspens above Aspen at Maroon Bells or above Ashcroft are gorgeous. Or head up CO 133 to Redstone and further on to Marble. All of these aspen viewing locations are mid to late Sept. so plan your trip accordingly.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd recommend SW Colorado first. Mid-September is getting close to snow time in the mountains.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whittington Center is an NRA facility along the Santa Fe Trail near Raton, NM. It's 10s of thousands of acres with an old mining town and near endless trails and dirt roads to explore.

Of course there are world class shooting facilities if you're into that. I was there for a month last fall and never got around to it.

They are many FHU sites. One campground has laundry facilities. No NRA membership required.
Larry