cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A 30 foot on Dalton or Dempster Highway

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Is there someone that ever took his Class A on the Dalton or Dempster Highway? Or someone you know.

I was on the Dalton with a truck camper in 2012 but never saw any Class A on that road, I saw 6 campers on a 7 day return trip. There was a few truck campers, a few vans, one fithwheel.

I wonder how it handles on gravel roads, especially when there is some road construction with rough gravel.

Thanks
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
22 REPLIES 22

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Don't understand the comment regards filing a freedom of information request.....The information regards usage and disposal of hazardous materials is very proactively published by responsible companies in the US. The issue with doing a search is that there is so much public information available that it takes a while to sort. Alyeska does report Calcium Chloride as a hazardous material in the same report that they recycled 481 toner cartridges in 1998. The info is very publicly available. I used to be on the providing side and you can do no less.

pops

soren
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
Thank you Soren, on my to do list was a search through the Alyeska Pipeline companies MSDS's to id the particular additive, for the assistance of the folks in Whitehorse.

pops

Having traveled the road in the past, experiencing the joy of trying to get the stuff off of my truck, and knowing of many hard core motorcycle riders who complain of the corrosive damage the Dalton slurry does, I responded to an incorrect statement here. Really no big deal, given that the purpose of the forum is to provide valuable experience and information. Would you want to find that your RV is full of fresh corrosion damage after a trip to the circle or Coldfoot, since you mistakenly believed that there is no salt being used on the road? Having spent a lifetime in the construction industry, handling bagged calcium flake repeatedly, and watching an Alyeska operator dumping it in his water truck, I have a bit of first hand knowledge of the subject. Spending a moment Googling "Calcium dust control Dalton highway" to confirm my experience for a reliable source is world apart from filing a Freedom of information act request to access anybody's MSDS information, and "searching through" said data.

As for the "Whitehorse" comment, Murray is a very talented Journalist and World traveler, who writes a very high quality blog. and has no need for my assistance.

With regard to dust control on heavily travelled dirt and gravel roads, Calcium is one of a handful of Hygroscopic chemicals that are reasonably economical and very effective. It has the ability to draw water to the surface and keep a road damp in dry summer conditions. For drivers it presents two unusual conditions that some may not be expecting in hot summer driving. first, it is extremely corrosive and needs to be power washed off the vehicle ASAP. Second, if it is used on smooth surfaces, such as stretches of tightly packed dirt, it can be extraordinarily slippery, very similar to black ice. It's nothing to be slogging through wet, rutted slop, and encounter a stretch of treated hard pack that will send you sideways, like you hit an oil slick. this is something I have encountered repeatedly on oil company roads in my area.

Finally "pops" thank you for your valuable contribution.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Soren, on my to do list was a search through the Alyeska Pipeline companies MSDS's to id the particular additive, for the assistance of the folks in Whitehorse.

pops

soren
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
traveylin wrote:
The slurry does have a very high salt content

Where do you think salt would come from? We don't use salt on the roads here.

I guess when I passed the road watering tanker on the Dalton, as he was refilling, the guy standing on the top with the bags of calcium flake didn't get the message?

"Calcium Chloride, a hygroscopic chemical, has been used with good success along some stretches of the Dalton Highway" From a university study of the environmental impact of dust on areas adjacent to unpaved highways in the Arctic.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:

Where do you think salt would come from? We don't use salt on the roads here.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer

TARDIS_TIME_TRA
Explorer
Explorer
2013 TARDIS ROAD TO ARCTIC CIRCLE
We traveled the Dalton Hwy on or travel to the Arctic Circle in 2013 in our 2011 Tiger RV. The road had long stretches of dirt/gravel with intermittent sections of pavement. We were toldto be sure to clean the underside of our RV when we got back to Fairbanks. Boy were the right. It took $20.00 at a truck wash to get the dirt/slurry mix off of the under carriage of our RV. The stuff is like concrete that they were putting down (about 25-30 miles of it following behind a guide truck. Lots of gravel being thrown up by oncoming truck. They don’t slow down, that part is left up to you. It was worth the trip but clean your RV as soon as possible. See photos.

FOLLOW ME TRUCK THRU CONSTRUCTION (SLURRY)

TYPICAL OF THE BIG RIGS YOU WILL ENCOUNTER

YOU CAN SEE THE SLURRY BEHIND THE FRONT WHEEL. IT ATTACHES LIKE CONCRETE
"TARDIS" time travelers
2011 Ford F350 4X4 Super Cab Bengal Tiger
David & Holly Fox
Chesapeake, Va.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, winter road to Tuk before it becomes a year-round road in a few years. Construction is getting underway. We'll see if we get the time to go.

The Dempster can be formidable in winter so timing is important. In February & March it can be spectacular!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
explorenorth wrote:
I've driven the Dempster many times in a particularly tough Class A, an MCI coach. I've seen a fair number of Class Cs on that road over the years, maybe As as well though that doesn't stick out. I'm currently shopping for a 29-31 foot Class A, though, and it will be going on the Dempster, regardless of what folks like Dave think. The Dempster is no tougher than the Taylor and Top of the World, and there are LOTS of Class As on that road combination. Edit: just checked my Dempster Highway Log and see a trailer, a 5th wheel, a Class C and my MCI in the various photos.

We still on for a February or March trip to Tuktoyaktuk? 😄

Sue - refresh my memory please - are you planning on the winter road to Tuk? If so we are plenty jealous!!
To teh OP - sure - we took our fiver to Inuvik and then flew to Tujk in 1995. Love to repeat that great experience but age/health no say no way!

Enjoy one of our all time favorite travels.
John

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I did the Dalton in a 26 foot class c in 2010. It was an older vehicle in good running condition. Issues were, scorched the brakes do to the rapid hill valley mode, cracked the windshield do to gravel thrown up by oncoming vehicles, and three electrical circuits that grounded due wires rubbing on metal edges from road vibration. Do it again....absolutely. This time in a 30 foot class A with toad. Its a different world there. Sun never sets.........

pops

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Gravel roads in Quebec and Labrador would be similar.

Fully agree! Especially the one up north.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
trcgolf wrote:
We are planning to take the Dempster Hwy this summer in our Fiver. How much of risk is to go that way with a fifth wheel as opposed to RV.

We've towed our fifth wheel as far as Tombstone on the Dempster several times. Truck/camper to Inuvik once.

Wouldn't hesitate to take the fifth wheel to Inuvik, just haven't had the time/opportunity in recent years.

Next trip to Inuvik will likely be a winter trip with the truck/camper. Some friends are now on the road there, posting magnificent pictures of caribou crossing the tundra and nice northern light shots. It is a popular winter tour for visitors.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
I've driven the Dempster many times in a particularly tough Class A, an MCI coach. I've seen a fair number of Class Cs on that road over the years, maybe As as well though that doesn't stick out. I'm currently shopping for a 29-31 foot Class A, though, and it will be going on the Dempster, regardless of what folks like Dave think. The Dempster is no tougher than the Taylor and Top of the World, and there are LOTS of Class As on that road combination. Edit: just checked my Dempster Highway Log and see a trailer, a 5th wheel, a Class C and my MCI in the various photos.

We still on for a February or March trip to Tuktoyaktuk? 😄
sue t.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gravel roads in Quebec and Labrador would be similar.