cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route, Apache Junction to Winslow, AZ

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be heading back to WI the beginning of April after a month long trip in the hopefully warmer south. What’s the best route from Apache Junction to Winslow, AZ? Google maps has me going north on AZ 87 all the way. Just wondering if going the long way around on I-17 through Flagstaff would be easier? Got a Silverado pulling a 32’ TT. Thanks for any tips.
Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH
Equal-i-zer Hitch
8 REPLIES 8

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
From AJ come west to Ellsworth and north to meet the Bush highway,past Saguaro lake to meet the beeline (87) then north to Payson and on to Winslow.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure your "Taking it easy"
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I'll decide later, thanks for the info. As for the corner... I'll have to cuz it's . . .
such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my lord
In a flatbed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me
Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
Equal-i-zer Hitch

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Do you like driving thru the mtns.? Do you like driving secondary roads?
Yes......AX 87

NO.....I-17 (adds about 70 miles but only 40 minutes----course that depends on when you go thru Phoenix)

The old guy is right
Be sure to stop on the corner in Winslow Arizona
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you like driving thru the mtns.? Do you like driving secondary roads?
Yes......AX 87

NO.....I-17 (adds about 70 miles but only 40 minutes----course that depends on when you go thru Phoenix)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to get to Homolovi Ruins State Park the easiest way possible.

Omrod
Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
depends on what you want to see! If you have not been up thru the white mountains that could be the way to go, also the salt river etc. Yes they gave you the most direct to I40 but you will by pass a lot of other places.

ronfisherman
Not a bad drive. We have done it several times. Good roads with some climbs and down hills. Elevation gets to 9,000'. You will still see some snow in the woods at that elevation.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD