cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Milepost 22014

funpro
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have the 2013 edition of the Milepost. Planning a long trip through Canada and Alaska this summer (2014). Do I really need the 2014 edition also??
12 REPLIES 12

Kaz_27
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
joe b. wrote:
www.northtoalaska.com to order the guide or down load it. There is a "clicky" on the page to fill out your mailing information. Of course this seems to place a person on many different mailing lists from interests regarding the north country.

Thanks for the tip Joe, I just signed up ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the information. We have the 2014 Milepost coming as a delayed Christmas gift and just signed up for a hardcopy of North to Alaska. Departure scheduled for the last week in June.

John
John & Sue

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Sue, your comment on "exaggeration" made me smile. We did our first trip north in 2002. Two young kids in the back seat, and pretty green to RVing scene. One night we stopped at a "full service resort" with a glowing Milepost review. I had convinced the wife that we really should stop at a real restaurant, since we had been roughing it for a week or so, getting in to the campsite late, and eating late, if at all.

This place was out in the middle of nowhere, yet promised "the finest dining on the highway". Well, we had some version of burgers and fries, and there was no way that whatever we ate was store bought. Tasted like every deer I ever dropped, LOL. Since this place is a "resort" and campground, we stayed the night at a "full hook-up" site, as recommended in the Milepost. After I backed into a site, I asked the owner where the sewer connections were? He then informed me that the "bush" definition of full hook-ups wasn't the same as it is down south. Seems to the proprietor of this luxury resort, "full hook-ups" is defined as a 20 amp receptacle and a water spigot.

We later stayed at a place that offers "30 amp" sites. There might be a thirty amp hook-up on the patch, running straight from the genny to the owner's single wide, but the other 99% of the campground in 15 amp extension cords randomly popping out of the ground. The place is a dump, full of abandoned junk, and garbage filled fire rings. The place was so rough that when I spoke to a highway crew staying there, they were furious about the conditions, and debating if they should just drag up and relocate to a gravel pit.

For at least the next decade, the Milepost continued to run ads from both of these places, and sung the praises of amenities that simply do not exist, and fine dining that's bush meat, and reheated dreck from the Cisco truck.

I loved the whole experience, did it twice after that, and can't wait for next time. That said, I wouldn't go without a fairly current milepost, knowing that anytime I see any business listed with an accompanying advertisement, everything may be more that a bit embellished.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
If you have last year's Milepost, there's no real need to buy a new one for this year. Just keep in mind some of the businesses will be closed, while others will be open that aren't listed.

The Milepost is very ad oriented -- some businesses prefer not to, or can't afford to, advertise so don't get much of a mention in the Milepost. Yet their services might be better than an advertisers.

The Milepost is great for knowing where all the little turnouts are - good for lunch stops or overnighting. It also lists decent fishing spots, history, etc. I buy a new one now and then to aid with our exploring BUT mostly for the digital version which is then stored on the laptop, which I also use for livetracking with the GPS.

I rarely look at the ads, other than to snicker at some of the exaggerated claims of service.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
One of the pluses of the Milepost is that it tells you whether the pull offs have two exits or only one, we saw a number of cases where Class A's with toads ended up having to unhook because they couldn't get turned around to get back out.
2007 Dodge 3500 Quad 6.7 L Cummins
2012 Montana 3750FL
My mind keeps writing checks my body won't cash.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
fireman93514 wrote:
I was thinking of buying churches book and the milepost. Maybe I will buy churches and decide on milepost later.

The two publications are completely different and will each be used for different purposes. The Milepost is excellent for history on all areas as you're driving and the maps are great. We wouldn't advise using it for your accurate and comprehensive camping information. Church's book is mainly for finding campgrounds and boondocking spots with excellent facility information and RV size suggestions for all the spots. I would suggest that you have both.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our first trip to Alaska we got the Milepost out at mile 0. I think by mile 50 we had put the thing away. Too much information. Dug it out from time to time for local info.

Second trip in 2011 it did not even ride in the truck with us. Spent 100% of the time looking out windows for critters & the ever changing view.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of buying churches book and the milepost. Maybe I will buy churches and decide on milepost later.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

funpro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I do have the North to Alaska guide - and have found it also very helpful. I will check on the Church information.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
I just received notice that the free "North to Alaska" guide is now available to be sent to those requesting a copy. In the past it has been a very well done guide. It is a joint publication of the Provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, Yukon Territory and the State of Alaska.

www.northtoalaska.com to order the guide or down load it. There is a "clicky" on the page to fill out your mailing information. Of course this seems to place a person on many different mailing lists from interests regarding the north country.

Thanks for the tip Joe, I just signed up ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I just received notice that the free "North to Alaska" guide is now available to be sent to those requesting a copy. In the past it has been a very well done guide. It is a joint publication of the Provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, Yukon Territory and the State of Alaska.

I buy a new Milepost every year, whether I am going to Alaska or not, as I tend to collect them. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50+ or - of the editions, going back as far as 1953. 1962 is the earliest one that I bought and personally used to drive to Alaska.

Probably not necessary to buy one yearly,but it doesn't cost that much to have a new one, if you buy one at a discount somewhere. The Church book is also excellent as mentioned above. In the last ten years of trips, I have often bought two copies of the Milepost, one to save and one to cut up and staple, to make it a more manageable size and weight. LOL

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
x2 recommendation for the Church's book ... the Milepost is kind of like a yellow-pages, and printed on lightweight magazine stock. The Church's book has a nicer format, and is printed on a more normal paper.

I took both on my incomplete attempt last year and plan to take both on my attempt this year to Alaska.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably not; however, may I suggest another publication that we found to be even better than the milepost. THIS is the web page for it. Many of us who have used it on our travels to Alaska, swear by it. We hardly even looked at the Milepost after we got the Churches book.

Good luck and have a great trip. Watch out for those pesky frost heaves.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....