cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cross Country Itinerary Feedback/Advice

flintsters
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning to take our 3 girls on a 7ish week cross country trip during the summer of 2018. It sounds like for Yellowstone and Grand Teton Campgrounds I should plan to be calling this spring for next summer so I am trying to come up with plan now. When we go our girls will be 12, 10, and 5. I would love any feedback you have as well as any advice.

6/20/18 Drive to St. Louis
6/21/18 Arrive in St. Louis (1142 miles over 2 days)
6/22/18 Explore
6/23/18 Explore
6/24/18 Drive to Colorado Springs
6/25/18 Arrive in Colorado Springs (833 miles over 2 days)
6/26/18 Explore
6/27/18 Explore
6/28/18 Drive to Arches (422 miles)
6/29/18 Explore
6/30/18 Explore
7/1/18 Explore
7/2/18 Explore
7/3/18 Drive to Grand Canyon Sth Rim (381)
7/4/18 Explore
7/5/18 Explore
7/6/18 Drive to Zion (241 miles)
7/7/18 Explore
7/8/18 Explore
7/9/18 Explore
7/10/18 Drive to Bryce Canyon (147 miles)
7/11/18 Explore
7/12/18 Explore
7/13/18 Drive to Grand Teton (515 miles)
7/14/18 Explore
7/15/18 Explore
7/16/18 Drive to Yellowstone (130 miles)
7/17/18 Explore
7/18/18 Explore
7/19/18 Explore
7/20/18 Explore
7/21/18 Explore
7/22/18 Drive to Glacier (366 miles)
7/23/18 Explore
7/24/18 Explore
7/25/18 Explore
7/26/18 Explore
7/27/18 Drive to Devil's Tower
7/28/18 Arrive at Devil's Tower (630 miles over 2 days)
7/29/18 Explore
7/30/18 Drive to Wind Caves (152 miles)
7/31/18 Explore
8/1/18 Drive to Badlands (155 miles)
8/2/18 Explore
8/3/18 Drive to DeSmet, SD (275 miles)
8/4/18 Explore
8/5/18 Drive to LaCross, WI (388 miles)
8/6/18 Drive to Indiana Dunes (337 miles)
8/7/18 Explore
8/8/18 Explore
8/9/18 Drive Home
8/10/18 Arrive Home (833 miles over 2 days)

Total for Trip 6947 Miles

Average Per Day 139 Miles
2012 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L
2015 Chevy 2500 Duramax
8 REPLIES 8

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
As was mentioned, it will be hotter than blazes in Arches. It is perhaps my favorite sightseeing NP, though. Get a very early morning start, knock off during mid day, then return after dinner for sunset. You drive from spot to spot, and at each spot you park and can walk anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple hours or more to reach the particular arch. So you can plan any longer trails for earliest, then do the quickies as it gets hot (using vehicle A/C to cool down in between jaunts). You can use afternoons to take scenic drives, like Canyonlands, Hwy 128, or maybe even Goblin Valley SP.

On the way to Arches, I recommend the drive through Colorado National Monument. Why this is merely a monument, I don't know. I liked it.

Heading south on 191, plan a quick stop in Bluff to photograph the Twin Rocks. Then maybe a drive through Valley of the Gods, and a stop at the Mexican Hat Rock. Goosenecks SP is nearby too.

I don't get too excited about GC. Maybe it's too big for me to appreciate fully. I like mountains better than canyons anyway. But there's a reason why most tourists go to the south rim; the transit system makes it easy to see a lot of vantage points in a fairly short time. The north rim is different; you drive quite a way south to see a single vantage point, then drive a way extra to see another or another (like Cape Royal, Point Imperial, etc.). You can hike some trails along the rim, though; I walked south about a mile from Point Imperial and got some nice pictures.

Zion will be hot also, but a hike up the Narrows will be nice and cool. And if you can take bikes, the girls will love coasting nearly all the way down from the Temple to your campsite. Just before Bryce, Red Canyon has a fairly short trail I like, called the Arches Trail, with a unique view. In Bryce, consider taking the horses down into the canyon on a half-day tour.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan. You may find some places that warrant more time; i.e., Black Hills of SD but that will give you something to come back to another trip. Happy trails.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I think your planned route is very good. You have plenty of time for down-time and relaxing. You don't have to go, go constantly. Get some pool time in or even river play in those areas. Zion is nice to putz around in the river and if you can snag the sites right on the river in Watchman campground the kids (and you) will enjoy its coolness. From Zion take a day trip to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in nearby Kanab, UT. It's an awesome facility but make arrangements for the tour beforehand. It's free. While in that area drive through Coral Pink Sands park. The color will amaze you.

There's plenty to do from Moab in 4 days. It's a big area to explore including nearby Canyonlands, the LaSal Mtns. (cool temps), taking a boat tour down the Colorado.

For a first-time visit I think the Grand Canyon South Rim is best. We've been to both Rims often and now our favorite is the North Rim because it's not as crowded but for the first time you need to go to the South Rim. Stay in Trailer Village RV and you'll be within walking distance to a early morning or late afternoon stroll to the Rim. Other times the free shuttle stops right at the RV park. There are many ranger programs to enjoy - either for kids only or for the whole family, including the night campfire talks. Get on and off wherever from the free shuttle. Walk along the top Rim for a distance then catch the next bus. Also, walk down the Bright Angel Trail if only for 1/8 mile or so. You'll get an altogether perspective of the canyon from below the Rim.

Bryce has some wonderful trails if you get below the Rim. Wall Street is awesome! It's like a fairy wonderland down there.

Grand Teton and Yellowstone - stay in the parks for the best experience. Each one has a full hookup RV park and many dry campgrounds. Take the gentle float tour in the Tetons down the Snake River and you just might see a moose in the water with you. We did!

Go to each national park's official web site for ideas on things to do, campgrounds, road information and special alerts. They are wonderful resources.

Your plan is good! You're lucky to have so much time for this big trip. Enjoy!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
EDIT. - Sorry didn't realize it was a 2018 plan

Make reservations early.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'll find that people here are divided into North Rim vs South Rim groups. I'm in the North Rim group which has 1/10th the crowds and nice flat trails to hike.

I'd leave Colorado Springs and run south to US Hwy 160, take that west. You'll pass by Great Sand Dunes NM which is a big kid favorite. 2-4 hours there is fine, continue west thru Durango and you be passing Mesa Verde NP which deserves a stop. Stay on 160 and then turn off on Hwy 89 which will run you to Jacob Lake, go south there to the North Rim. Or you can turn south on 89 and get to the south rim.

We always find Arches very hot in the summer, there is no shade on the trails. Get up very early and be on the trails at 7 AM and off at 11 AM. Take a lot of water, 2 Liters each.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

flintsters
Explorer
Explorer
I was planning to go south from Moab to see the 4 corners on the way to GCNP and then up to Zion. I was wondering if it made more sense to go to the North Rim. I was also wondering about 4 days with Arches temperatures. I was thinking about combining Arches/Canyonland/Dinosaur....whatever the kids were up for during those 4 days. It still may be too much time.

I'm driving a 2015 Chevy 2500 crew cab with Duramax Diesel towing a 2012 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L (32 ft bumper to hitch)
2012 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L
2015 Chevy 2500 Duramax

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You route crosses over itself several times. You are going to spend a lot more time in that vehicle than you should. For example you plan to drive right past Zion/Bryce to get to the South Rim. Drive to your most southerly goal and then work you way north from there. Or do the opposite.

I really doubt you'll find enough at Arches to spend 4 days there, Canyonlands is in the same area tho so you may want to add that. You probably don't need a full day at Devils Tower either.

What are you driving and what are you going to camp in?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper