cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash cams

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of ours who lives in Mexico has been running with a dash cam for several years. They are cheap to buy and a good thing to have when you are in the right. This is an e-mail we received the other day and I thought it might give a few people pause to consider using a camera - whether in Mexico, or right at home. They record in an endless loop and will start and shut off with the ignition. Here's the mail - note the use of the Telcel internet stick on the road. RYV
.............. I was driving to Jocotepec last Saturday and a bus cut me short as it passed and destroyed my left outside mirror. Sounded like a bomb going off. Damn driver was playing chicken, happens all the time. Buses and trucks come as close as they can when coming back into the lane and more than once I had to slam on my brakes to keep from being hit. We pull over and he says I should have moved over and it was my fault. A passenger from the bus comes over, Alicia, and spoke English and helped translate. I said I was going to call the police, he said he didn't have a phone, told him I did. I pointed out the dash video cam which I have hanging in my windshield which records as I drive, he got a funny look on his face. Later he pulls out his cell phone to make calls ! The passengers had to finish their trip on a different bus which pulled up later. While waiting for his insurance company to arrive I connected my laptop to the dash cam and pulled the video clip of his bus hitting my RV, it even has sound and you could hear the bus hit me. I showed him the clip and he was not very happy. Next, I hopped on the internet, I have a Telcel USB drive which connects me to the internet anywhere in Mexico. I pulled up the info to replace my mirror, $395 including shipping. The insurance guy arrives and I show him the clip and later he is talking to the driver and I understand he is reaming his butt. I also show him how much it will cost me to replace the mirror. I mention if I have the mirror shipped to Mexico the cost will double due to import duties. And, I determined how much this was in pesos, $5,012. So I had my ducks in a row for the insurance guy and he realized I wasn't some gringo pushover. In Mexico you really don't want to get the police involved if you can settle it among yourselves. The police are nothing but crooks and always want a bribe. I finally settled for $4,508 pesos, knew I wasn't going to get anymore than that and I was lucky to get this much out of them.
19 REPLIES 19

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I bought one on eBay for $28.00, not great and the motion sensor system is usless but we did use it at the beach and got some good pictures and the sound was so so. I like the concept well enough to buy a better one and with a 32 or 64 gig card you'll get a lot of recording. Ours has a on/off switch and if you turn the key off, it will come back on when you start the engine again. It will be nice to be able to photograph signs as we drive down the road and not get a big blur. Missed a lot of Welcome to ..., signs we wish we had.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I have had one now for a little over two years. It is plugged in to the 12 Volt Power Point on the Dash. I have to actually push in the plug in order to start it.

I have a 32 Gig SD Card and record in 5 Minute Segments. It runs for about 8 Hours before over writing onto itself.

Comes in handy as a Video Camera when You forget yours at Home!

I think Mine was $35 on E-Bay with Free Shipping. The SD Card was almost as much 2 Years ago! It is identical to the First one shown on the Comparison Chart.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
jalopnik com has

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
BroncosFan wrote:
dash-cam-comparison

sounds interesting but has anybody waded thru all of this for a good unit? are they all activated when car is started and go thru a loop?
bumpy

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer