cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dateland, AZ to Oceanside, CA

shedberg
Explorer
Explorer
This summer I will be traveling to California. One leg of the trip is from Dateland, AZ to Oceanside, CA. I will be pulling a travel trailer and am looking for the easiest (easiest grades, lowest passes in elevation) way into California. I'm looking at I-8, I-10, or I-40.

Time is not critical, just looking for an unchallenging route.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Cube58
Explorer
Explorer
One side note: every rest stop on 1-10 From L.A. To the Arizona border is closed (both directions) just came though there.

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
By far the shortest way from Dateland AZ to Oceanside CA is I 8 west to 805 north to I 5. I 8 west is a radiator tester from Ocatillo to the top. Altitude change is + approx 4,200 ft in a short distance. I did it in January two months ago and it was still cool. I can do it in July too, but I have a recently cleaned radiator and a lot of excess power.

If you have any overheating problems at all with your rig take the grade first thing in the morning or after 8 pm. It get really hot on that grade in summer. There are several water stations on the way up. I frequently see overheated vehicles on that grade in the summer.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Heading up to I-10 would be a good 100 miles further than I-8. I-8 has a long uphill grade east of El Centro followed by a long downhill grade. In summer months this grade can be very hot but is fine if you travel it early morning.

I-10 route would be easier but longer. Only major grade is downhill east of Indio. High winds can occur through Banning west of Palm Springs.

Do not attempt to drive west bound on I-10 on the last day of a holiday weekend through the Palm Springs area as it can be a traffic nightmare! Otherwise its fine.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
shedberg wrote:
This summer I will be traveling to California. One leg of the trip is from Dateland, AZ to Oceanside, CA. I will be pulling a travel trailer and am looking for the easiest (easiest grades, lowest passes in elevation) way into California. I'm looking at I-8, I-10, or I-40.

Time is not critical, just looking for an unchallenging route.

Thanks!
I -8 I-8 and I-8
So big a world, so little time to see.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
I8 to San Diego,I5 to Oceanside,Why the southern route to Ca
summer in Yuma,Gila Bend can be 115.
one step grade from desert to mountains E of San Diego
Make sure AC and radiator in good shape
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 is way out of your way. I-8 is pretty step in places but doable and is sthe shortest distance. I-10 would be your easiest route but a little out of your way. One caution about I-10, past Palm Springs, is the possibility of extremely strong headwinds, sometimes 40-50 mph. I-8 doesn't have those winds.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE