cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Petersville Road?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for feedback on Petersville road, off the Parks Highway south of DNP. I'd like to get to the 32 mile mark to see the canyon, and hike Peter's Hill for the panoramic view.

The first section of road looks tame enough, broken pavement and big pot holes. I'm interested in what lies beyond. Is it accessible by pickup truck (4x4), or do you need something small like a jeep or specialized like a quad?

Quoting from the Mat-Su Valley Visitor's Bureau:
Mile 28-30: The spectacular Peters Creek Canyon. A one-lane road hugs one side of a deep gorge with waterfalls all around. Views of the Alaska Range complete the picture.

Before entering the canyon, turn right onto the trail at the mouth of the canyon and hike to the top of the Peters Hills for some of the most phenomenal views of the Alaska Range featuring Mount McKinley, Mount Foraker and Mount Hunter, as well as stunning views of the Chugach and Talkeetna Mountains, the Matanuska-Susitna Valleys and much more. Watch for migratory birds and small mammals early in the summer, and Ptarmigan and bears feeding on the berries later in the year. This is a great area to begin a mountain biking trek, as there are many rugged trails and roads in this region.

Edit: PS most likely I'll be there mid-ish June
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
9 REPLIES 9

ace44
Explorer
Explorer
You can actually get along ways past the old roadhouse location with just about any pickup. Saw a 2 wheel drive suburban back past the canyon last September.
2015 Arctic Fox 990
2011 GMC 3500 DRW

Alaska Adventure Blog

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen plenty of illegal barricades across State and Federal forest roads (two-tracks mostly) around my home here in Michigan. Sometimes its poachers putting them up, or logging companies that lease timber rights, trying to keep poachers out of the new clear-cuts.

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, this was on my list this year ! Sounds like it's getting as bad as Texas for fences!
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
That's too bad the road is privately owned now. Explains why there's no recent videos on YouTube I guess. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

ok, so maybe I mis-read ... the barricade across the road is just someone messing around?

Guess I'll find out when I get there ๐Ÿ™‚

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
We drove in to the Forks Roadhouse, After that, the Milepost indicates, "High clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles only beyond Forks Roadhouse". Even though we had the 4x4 truck without the fifth wheel attached, we didn't go further...mostly because the road was barricaded.

http://suethomas.ca/20100902_TrapperCk.html

Your pix show that it's not always the best to follow the crowd, much better views than we saw on the NPS bus last summer.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
One can get to the site of the Forks (it did burn in 2012) in the summer with a variety of vehicles, but it's a rough gravel/dirt road.

Beyond the roadhouse are a variety of 4x4 roads/trails, including the main "road". Some of these trails do cross private property and could rightfully be blocked off...but the only blocking I've ever seen is on the main road and that, as pointed out above, is not legal. However, it isn't hard to end up on a miner's claim or other private property.

All in all, I would only recommend going beyond the roadhouse with any 4x4 vehicle if you had all the gear to get unstuck: Chainsaw, winch, handyman jack, shovels, rigging gear, etc. A quad or UTV would be better.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with the Troopers at the turn off from the highway but if the road is blocked past the old roadhouse, it's done illegally by the locals or the minors beyond there. The last time I was up there in the summer we were riding dirt bikes several years ago and it wasn't blocked and travel in a 4X4 wouldn't be a problem. Everyone rides snowmachines beyond the roadhouse in both directions all winter long.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
"Milepost" says the roadhouse burned down in 2012.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We drove in to the Forks Roadhouse, After that, the Milepost indicates, "High clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles only beyond Forks Roadhouse". Even though we had the 4x4 truck without the fifth wheel attached, we didn't go further...mostly because the road was barricaded.

http://suethomas.ca/20100902_TrapperCk.html
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!