cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devils Tower, WY

live4thedash
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on leaving Sturgis, SD heading west into MT.

Is it worth going route 114 to 24 to 112 to hwy 212 to drive by Devils Tower? Driving 35ft MH w/toad. Is this route doable.

Or are we better off to just head out of Sturgis on 212 and can we see the tower from this road?
thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

live4thedash
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. Food for thought, appreciate it!

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
My experience, 36 foot DP with toad:
US 14 is fine
SR 24 is okay for motorhome towing, though plenty of curves
112 I can't comment on
US 212 is a great road -- one of my favorites, Belle Fourche towards Broadus and Hardin. Depending on construction!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I did the drive. In a 'C' pulling a toad, and overnighting in the KOA. Just my opinion, but there's such a thing as being too close. Rent "Close Encounters".
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been through that part of WY several times, but haven't taken the side trip to the Tower. But on the map (with GM streetview) it looks like the simplest thing is to take I90 to Sundance, US14 to WY24 to the tower, back to US14, and then west till it rejoins I90.

I wonder if Keyhole State Park is worth a stop?

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you plan on getting to MT via US 212. IF so, Seems US 212 doesn't come close to the Tower. But from Sturgis, it might be closer miles (but 12 minutes longer) to take SD 34 to Belle Fourche & on to WY 24.

We have driven the Belle Fourche to the Tower Route. Not too hard of one, but is somewhat narrow & twisty at times.

We have driven down from the Tower to I-90 twice. Somewhat wider roadway, not as twisting. But some.

I-90 from Sturgis to Sundance & US 14 would be the easiest route. Took a while for me to figure out the 14 you were using is I-90 & turns off to go to the tower. .

Yes, I believe it would be worth it (to me anyway) to go the route you first mentioned. Worth a stop & an overnight if you have the time.

Never been up to the US 212.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I'd even suggest staying overnight in either the KOA campground at the entrance or the dry campground in the park. On the right night the view of the tower with the stars & moon is neat:

Retired_Phone_M
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of rolling hills in that area so the roads are good, but you can only see Devil's Tower from HWY 24. If you get that close you might as well just go in the park and get a good look. There is a 1-mi walking path around the base and is interesting. Going via Hwy 14 to 24 to 112 to HWY 212 adds about 1 hr travel time and maybe another 1 hr or so in the park to get up close to the Tower.

Jim
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab with 5.7L V8 and Tow Package.
2007 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 21MB
Peaches - Lhasa Apso/Mut Mix

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely see the top of the tower from I-90. Was only on 212 one time several years ago so don't remember if you can from it.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
live4thedash wrote:
Planning on leaving Sturgis, SD heading west into MT.

Is it worth going route 114 to 24 to 112 to hwy 212 to drive by Devils Tower? Driving 35ft MH w/toad. Is this route doable.

Or are we better off to just head out of Sturgis on 212 and can we see the tower from this road?
thanks.
Never been on 212, but I seriously doubt if you can see the Tower, it's 42 miles from the nearest part of US212
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund