cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East coast fall leaf viewing

betsypupcdx
Explorer
Explorer
HI, We are planning an October trip. Central Florida up to Ohio and back. We'll probably go north up the coast then head back nw toward Ohio. Leave Ohio and head back to Fl via Nashville and the Fl panhandle. A big circle.
Our purpose is viewing the Fall foliage.
I'd love any suggestions for routes and campgrounds along the way. I'd like to avoid the big cities if possible.

thanks,
Linda
Tye & Linda
Ch Shana's Bbonded-N-Insured UDX VER RA aka "Brinks"
Sketchbook Four the Record CD BN RN aka "Ali"
(standard schnauzers)
5 REPLIES 5

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Vermont has great foliage. The Maples turn a brilliant red color. As in other northern states, many of our campgrounds close around Columbus Day depending on the weather.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy & Nana wrote:
... Also most of our campgrounds will close by Columbus Day if not earlier!
The same in New Hampshire and Maine. Usually the foliage in the Northeast peaks around Columbus Day but can vary by a week or so, depending on Mother Nature, but it sure is spectacular. :B
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park is pretty good for fall foliage in October. Avoid the weekends if you can as traffic can be heavy then. Blue Ridge Parkway, which connects with Skyline Drive, is also good, as are many West Virginia State Parks.
2013 RT 190-Popular

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
you can search on www.woodalls.com for campgrounds that are open all year. Search by city first, then filter.
It would help if we knew how far up the coast you want to go. It would also help if you told us what you like to see or do.
I would cut over on I-26 toward Charlotte NC, then take I-81 east. Stay on I-81 to Scranton PA. Beautiful drive. We like to stop in Mt Airy NC at Mayberry Campground. They are open all year. We drove to Pilot Mountain State Park and drove up to the top. Not sure if it will be open then. Stop in WV at Harpers Ferry. We stayed at the KOA. They are open all year.
If you get to Pennsylvania and haven't been to Gettysburg that would be a good stop. Also Niagara Falls before you head south.
In Nashville we like Two Rivers Campground or Seven Points Corps of Engineers campround out of town.
To miss Atlanta, head south from Nashville through Birmingham. Or if you have time, take the Natchez Trace Parkway to Natchez MS, then head back east.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
the Adirondacks in and around Old Forge NY has beautiful foliage.....are you looking for full hook ups or state campground facilities?

Here in NY most of our state campgrounds are dry camping (no water, electric or sewer, except for a few faucets around the campground and a dump on the way out)!

Also most of our campgrounds will close by Columbus Day if not earlier!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4