cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elkhart In to Hannibal Mo ?

LindanMick
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading home from the heart of RV's and are going to stop at Hannibal on the way home. On the way here, we came up 65. What a horrible ride, the road was one of the worst we have ever been on. I do not mind two lanes and do not want to take I-80/90 to Chicago. Are there any easier routes to take? We're in no hurry, just don't want the rough roads and big truck laden journey.

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

LindanMick
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
We drove I70 east from Indianapolis to PA a couple of weeks ago and the Indiana portion was really rough. Can't comment on I70 west of Indianapolis as we came down I74 from Davenport area.

Looking at Streets & Trips, I would try route 20 west from the Elkhart area to route 31 south to route 24 west. S&T shows routes 20 and 31 as divided highways and route 24 is divided as far as Logansport IN. After that, 24 is 2 lane. We used route 24 2 years ago and got off onto I55 to Springfield then I72 west to Hannibal.

If you are going further west, route 36 across MO is a great divided highway, which we drove back in May.

I looked this one up and looks very good. We thought our roads were bad. Sorry Indiana, your roads are bad. We have enjoyed our stay but have gained a few pounds here in the Amish area also have not paid very much for a lot of food. Camper WILL be over weight on the way home and that is just in the front seats.

Thanks to all who responded.

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Take I55 south to Springfield IL. pick up I72 to Hannibal MO.then that 36 across MO. to I 35 into KS. Nice drive across MO. and not a lot of traffic. That's the route I take when I head home to see my Mom, just east of Bloomington.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

SBL9A
Explorer
Explorer
Go south to Highway 24 then west across IL. It will be slower than the interstate.

Indiana SR10 avoids Chicago but I would not want to drive large vehicles on it.
Be safe.

SBL9A

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We drove I70 east from Indianapolis to PA a couple of weeks ago and the Indiana portion was really rough. Can't comment on I70 west of Indianapolis as we came down I74 from Davenport area.

Looking at Streets & Trips, I would try route 20 west from the Elkhart area to route 31 south to route 24 west. S&T shows routes 20 and 31 as divided highways and route 24 is divided as far as Logansport IN. After that, 24 is 2 lane. We used route 24 2 years ago and got off onto I55 to Springfield then I72 west to Hannibal.

If you are going further west, route 36 across MO is a great divided highway, which we drove back in May.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Drive south and pick up I-70
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net