cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

English to Spanish app for phone

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the internet for language translator app's for the smart phones and the androids and found a number off them.

Most people today have one of these phones and travel to a different language speaking country.

For those of you that have a hard time with non English speaking natives, the translators might come in handy, from what I gather some even use voice to communicate the translation.

I do not have the ability to upload anything from my tablet, or I do not know how, chose one and let me know how dumb I am please.

OH by the way I speak, read and write in 9 languages, Spanish is one of them and of course English is another.

navegator
22 REPLIES 22

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Almot wrote:
Good to know that Google Translation works offline. Apparently, with some limitations i.e. fewer choices when offline. If it works offline at all - recent reviews noted that it doesn't.

I never installed it, and don't think I will. With a proper system it's not that difficult to learn basics tenses, verb conjugations and a few hundred words. Took me about 2 years at a very leisurely pace, I think less than 150 hours spent in total. For when I'm short of words, I'm using a free dictionary app - DicDroid, it provides words and common short phrases.

DicDroid is a dictionary, not a translator. I would not rely on a Google Translator for anything beyond basics, because, as any translator app, it can and will screw up on the basic level already. Like translating "Did you see it?" as Simple Past "lo viste?", while in Spanish they more often use Present Perfect "lo has visto". Or, when you dial "Have you seen it?", it gives "la has visto" - almost correct, except for La. Spanish language is "muy macho", things are always assumed to be masculine unless otherwise specified.

We would take the opposite side to your arguement. It's pretty easy to learn the basics but the translation software is most useful as you go beyone the standard vacation oriented phrases or what a 3000 word translation dictionary can provide.

While always a good idea to get some basics down, if you are staying for any significant length of time, you will run into issues that the vacation oriented phrases won't cover. We've used it all the time when in stores where it isn't always obvious what you are buying.

If you are unsure what a product is, it's very handy to be able to type in what's on the lable and have the app spit out the answer. Say you are looking for a cut of meat or you need some work done on the RV, your basic phrase book is unlikely to cover it well but we've had excelent luck with translators.

True, you won't get a perfect translation but unless you are speaking to a grammar teacher, it does suprisingly well and most people understand you may be off on the tense or masculine/feminine but they still get it. Most of the time, they are quite happy you are trying and occasionally with help you with the correct translation once they know what you are trying to say.

We are huge fans of such a great tool.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
navegator wrote:

I do not have the ability to upload anything from my tablet, or I do not know how, chose one and let me know how dumb I am please.

Upload from tablet or download to tablet? In any event, check the Help of your particular browser. I would "guess" that it's either Win8, or another unwieldy browser skin, difficult to get to any controls.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good to know that Google Translation works offline. Apparently, with some limitations i.e. fewer choices when offline. If it works offline at all - recent reviews noted that it doesn't.

I never installed it, and don't think I will. With a proper system it's not that difficult to learn basics tenses, verb conjugations and a few hundred words. Took me about 2 years at a very leisurely pace, I think less than 150 hours spent in total. For when I'm short of words, I'm using a free dictionary app - DicDroid, it provides words and common short phrases.

DicDroid is a dictionary, not a translator. I would not rely on a Google Translator for anything beyond basics, because, as any translator app, it can and will screw up on the basic level already. Like translating "Did you see it?" as Simple Past "lo viste?", while in Spanish they more often use Present Perfect "lo has visto". Or, when you dial "Have you seen it?", it gives "la has visto" - almost correct, except for La. Spanish language is "muy macho", things are always assumed to be masculine unless otherwise specified.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
As long as you plan ahead, you can download a language so it works without cell coverage (google translate)

Extremely handy.

Though it did have a bit of trouble when we were at the sushi restaurant in Italy Sunday. Didn't seem to get that their were Italian and Japanese words mixed together.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing with Google Translate is it allows you to take a photo of a Spanish sign, and it will translate for you!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google play store. Once you find one you like you hit download and it is automatic. It will even place an icon for you. If you have apple same thing in apple store.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife is natively bilingual (and has a masters' degree in Spanish). She says Google Translate started out pretty bad but has gotten MUCH better for Spanish. Of course, you have to be able to get to Google to use it, so may not be useful in the context(s) you describe.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Google Translate app works amazingly well on iOS phones. I assume its even better on Droids......
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King