cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favored route to Key West from Kentucky

danny124
Explorer
Explorer
What would be the favored route from central Kentucky to Key West?

I-75 or I-75/I-40/I-26/I-95

Thanks for your help!!
4 REPLIES 4

stevewise
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion would be I65 to I24 to I75 to I285 to I75 to Florida turnpike.
'15 Sierra 377FLIK
'14 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch
DW and Cricket the Chihuahua

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if it were me, I'd go I-75, straight through Atlanta, (too many trucks on I-285). Stay in the dead middle of the freeway in Atlanta to avoid disappearing lanes. Take I-75 all the way to the Florida Turnpike at Wildwood, take the Turnpike to Fl St Rd 429 (toll) south to I-4 west, I-4 West to US 27, US 27 south until you hit I-75 again, west of Ft Lauderdale. I-75 south to the Fla Turnpike extension. South on the Turnpike to US 1, and US 1 to Key West.

From my experience, there is usually less traffic going straight through Atlanta than dealing with the trucks on the I-285 perimeter. I take the Florida Turnpike to FL 429 to I-4 to US 27 to avoid the traffic, traffic lights and congestion around Clermont FL on US 27. For a few bucks in tolls you save about 1/2 hour. I'd go US 27 instead of the Turnpike all the way because the traffic on the Turnpike can get really crazy from Palm Beach through Miami. On US 27, you hit a few traffic lights but it is good 4 lane divided non toll road all the way to I-75. You could stay on US 27 to the turnpike in Miami, but, I'm not sure about the traffic closer to Miami, and I prefer I-75 to the Turnpike Extension. From Ft Lauderdale through Miami, expect lots of traffic and erratic drivers. JMHO

Well, that's how I would go, others' opinions may vary.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I-95 in So FL is a 6-lane speedway with traffic that rivals LA. I would run I-75 out of Lexington KY and just take the I-285 loop around Atlanta. Pick up I-75 again south of Atlanta and run all the way down to Naples, stay on 75 across Alligator Alley then pick up FL 821 Turnpike Extension in Pembroke Pines then run that down to US 1 in Homestead FL and then on to the Keys.

The trick is to time the trip so you hit Atlanta in the middle of the day (or night) and not at the rush hours.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, whatever route avoids Atlanta (either through or around) is the way to go. The problem when going through Atlanta besides the heavy traffic, is that the right lane ends. If some kind soul lets you move over to the left, then that lane ends soon. And nobody in a car wants to be behind anything they can't see around like a MH or TT in that traffic.
Coming from Cincinnati, I head south to Knoxville and then take I-40 and I-95 for the east coast, or I-59, I-65 and I-10 back to I-75 in Florida if I'm headed down the west coast. It's longer, but my sanity remains intact.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.