cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time West,best route fron Grand Canyon, Yosemite etc.

JerryNH
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first trip to the Western states, currently at Grand Canyon
looking for best route to Hoover Dam, Death Valley, Sequoia Natl Park, then to Yosemite. Have no reservations but can wing it. Any other ideas on Yosemite camping would be great. (Had no idea in January,February what dates we would reach Yosemite to make reservations)
Thanks
2002 Monaco Beaver
2015 Ford Edge toad w/ Brake Buddy
Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar
10 REPLIES 10

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't miss Bodie. Finest ghost town in the West.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll love 395. Since you're driving from NH you might as well see this beautiful country of ours rather than the interstates! Definitely stop in Lee Vining and take a side trip to Bodie. Enjoy.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JerryNH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, going from Las Vegas to Death Valley to 395 to Yosemite.
2002 Monaco Beaver

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
If u go up Rt 395 to Lee Vining, a very pretty drive, there are some nice RV parks in that town. Stay an extra day and take the TOAD about 20 miles north to the turnoff to the world famous REAL Ghost town of Bodie!!!
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo...I don't understand your route suggestion. I-15 does not go to the I-5/14 split. Why wouldn't one just go to Barstow and take 58 across to Bakersfield and up 99?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 395 is a beautiful route with lots to see along the way....Mt. Whitney, Alabama Hills, Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake loop, Mono Lake, etc. You might want to make a stop half-way up and use your toad to explore.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tioga Pass is not a problem with a big rig. Nice wide road. If you have to use turnouts, there are plenty available.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Best? My choice would be the 40 to the 93 to Las Vegas. Then the 15 to the I-5/I-14 split, then the 1-5 to the 99. It's a long drive and I would plan three days, but that's just me. Enjoy, and Happy Trails.

JerryNH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. How is driving the Tioga Pass, we have a 38 ft DP and a 35 ft DP. and two anxious wives??
2002 Monaco Beaver

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your timing is great -- Tioga Pass just opened! Here is an idea -- after Vegas and Death Valley, go up 395 to Lee Vining. Stay there (Mono Vista) and take your toad up to Tuolumne Meadows. Then take 120 across to whichever RV park you choose, using your toad to commute into Yosemite. The campgrounds inside the park are probably already booked up -- but maybe not? No hookups in the park, though.

From there, head to Three Rivers (Sequoia RV Ranch?) and use your toad to get up 198 to the Giant Forest area in Sequoia.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."