cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flagstaff to Phoenix on I-17

GKU
Explorer
Explorer
How is the drive on I-17. We are going from Flagstaff to Sedona taking 179 off I-17, then on to Camp Verde area before going to Phoenix.

Being from FL I don't have much mountain driving experience, biggest "mountain" we have is an overpass!!

I'm driving a 38ft Tiffin RED towing a Jeep Wrangler.

Looks like the I-17 has some long grades up and down??
Thank You
George & Kathy
2014 Phaeton 40AH
Jeep Wrangler Toad
8 REPLIES 8

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check this route out on Google Earth. Go to the Cornville Rd. (road 119)its one exit past the 179 exit, then take Cornville Rd. to 89a at the north city limits of Cottonwood. Turn right on 89a to go to Sedona from the west. You'll avoid all the roundys.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
GKU wrote:
This is some great information..no I will not take 89A north of Sedona. Thanks for the info. This is going to be our first trip out West and I am a little concerned about mountain driving...change that a lot concerned. But form this post and others it seems you just take your time pay attention and enjoy it. That's what my DW says we will do.

AND another great example of why one should limit driving times/distances to ~400 miles max per day! Being "a lot concerned" will keep you alert and on your toes, so to speak, but don't let it intimidate you. You'll get into the nuances of mountain driving fairly quickly, I'm thinking, since you've got an open mind and listened to the suggestions of the prior posters. While it's less than 150 miles, you'll know you've done some driving when you get to The Valley Of The Sun!

Best of Luck to you on your trip!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember when on a grade downshift to hold your speed down.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

GKU
Explorer
Explorer
This is some great information..no I will not take 89A north of Sedona. Thanks for the info. This is going to be our first trip out West and I am a little concerned about mountain driving...change that a lot concerned. But form this post and others it seems you just take your time pay attention and enjoy it. That's what my DW says we will do.
Thank You
George & Kathy
2014 Phaeton 40AH
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seeing as you are going to Sedona via 179 and then onto Camp Verde Area just use 89A from Sedona to Cottonwood then 260 to Camp Verde. That way you miss the downhill grade on I-17 (Flagsaff to Camp Verde).
89A and 260 are easy routes.

Then pick up I-17 from 260 in Camp Verde and on to Phoenix .
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something that always got my attention was some of the mountain cuts might have high wind blowing over the Interstate. Look for those warning signs.... Hitting a 40-50MPH side wind blowing across the Interstate might make for some white knuckles.

I17 is well traveled road between Flagstaff and Phoenix... I would stick to the main roads around Sedona. Taking route 89A north of Sedona to connect back up to I17 might not be a good idea. Lots of curves and steep climbs. Also there is a road closure planned for 89A north which I don't remember the closure date. You will need to check that ouit if you plan on using 89A North of Sedona.

The Sedona RED ROCKS blows me away... Always enjoyed being there on my few trips up that way...

If you plan on staying in Flagstaff anywhere be sure to get away from the East West Railroad if you can. There will be a train coming and going every 5-10 minutes 24/7... It will keep you awake - don't know how I remember that hehe...

Also you will want to get a picture of you and your rig sitting by one the last US66 road signs around the Flagstaff area.

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
There is an 11 mile downgrade starting just south of Munds Park, some of it is 6% dropping into the Verde Valley.
South of the Verde valley there is a hard climb of 6% for about 3 miles.
Beginning just south of the sunset point rest area there is another steep decent of 6% for about 5 miles to Black Canyon City. From there its smooth sailing into Phoenix.
Watch for the round-abouts in the Sedona area, there are several.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Simple answer to your question. Yes, it does.

Followup answer is that you are on an interstate - there are no "scary" mountains driving spots as such. Just an interstate that goes up and down and bends some. Some are long so downshifting - up or down - may be in order.

We have done it a lot both ways.

BTW, we stay at Distant Drums right on the interstate at Camp Verde - and recommend it.

Certainly doable even for inexperienced mountain driver.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times