cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flattest route to Denver

Jacksilsby
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to pull met travel trailer from Fort Worth to Denver. I've made this trip in a car or truck a few times, but never with a big load. There are some spots that are pretty steep climbs once you get to Raton Nm and several from there to Denver. Does anyone know what would be a good, flatter route? Thanks for your time.
27 REPLIES 27

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I have made the trip many many times from Wichita Falls to Denver. US 287 all the way. Best route I have ever found.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
Jack,

You can look at Flattest Route and see how much more driving is recommended that way.

Matt (I learned about this site here)

^^^^ This. What he said.

If you input Fort Worth and Denver as your start/end points, it shows the route up to Raton Pass and up I-25. If you input Fort Worth and Limon, CO as your start/end points, it shows the route up via US 287. Graphically, it may look steep. In reality it is not. Remember, you're starting at a low elevation in Texas (around 700 feet in Fort Worth), to around 5300 feet in Denver. It's all gradual. There's nothing overly steep, despite the graphical representation.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jack,

You can look at Flattest Route and see how much more driving is recommended that way.

Matt (I learned about this site here)
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
SCVJeff wrote:
There is no "flat", there is straight. Denver is ~5500' AMSL and there's only one way to get to that altitude

But there is the option of going over a 7,800' mountain pass, or not going over any mountain pass.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious about what % grades we're talking about in these different routes. It's all relative; none of it is "flat." As an Easterner I'd really like to know how steep those Rocky Mt. highways are. Does anyone know?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
There is no "flat", there is straight. Denver is ~5500' AMSL and there's only one way to get to that altitude
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
The flattest approach would be like janstey58 said - head north thru OK and KS and then west on I-70.

But, like the others have said, Raton pass wouldn't bother me.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The only two inclines that I can think of on I25 are Raton and Monument Hill. Neither of those would be a reason to avoid that route.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Moved from Forum Technical Support

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
ditto on taking 287.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
North thru KS on I35/Hiway 81, then take I70 on in? That should be pretty flat.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Raton Pass is the only real climb going to Raton and up I-25. And that is not really a bad pass. But the flattest route would be either US 287 all the way to I-70 west (longer than Raton route), or I-35 all the way to I-70 west (much longer).

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 287 would be my choice!
It is all up hill!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker