cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flood gates

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If any of you are near the west side of New Orleans the corps of engineers will be opening 38 bays of the Bonnet Carre Spillway flood control structure tomorrow (Wednesday). If youโ€™ve never seen it it really is pretty interesting. If youโ€™re riding along I 10 and look over toward the railroad tracks as youโ€™re nearing the banks of Lake Ponchatrain and you see rushing water thatโ€™s relief water from the Mississippi.
Surfs up!!
10 REPLIES 10

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
memtb wrote:
Pretty early to be opening the gates! Do you think they will be opening the gates at Morganza soon?

Quick update. The corps has started to talk about the possibility. This is usually giving the farmers ranchers and sportsmen notice ahead of the official warning to get ready. Itโ€™s not looking good.

I suspected that it may happen. My cousin has a camp, way down in the basin. He lost it the last time they opened up at Morganza. Heโ€™s rebuilt, bigger, higher, stronger....I sure hope he doesnโ€™t lose this one. Age and health, wonโ€™t allow him to rebuild again!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Pretty early to be opening the gates! Do you think they will be opening the gates at Morganza soon?

Quick update. The corps has started to talk about the possibility. This is usually giving the farmers ranchers and sportsmen notice ahead of the official warning to get ready. Itโ€™s not looking good.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
memtb wrote:

I havenโ€™t heard anything about Morganza, yet, but Is pretty early to open the Bonnet Carre. Theyโ€™ve upped the opening to over 200 gates.

Just read this morning, that sheโ€™ s (Mississippi River) was supposed to peak about a foot below the levee top.....I just remember exactly where! Iโ€™ve got that CRS pretty bad on occasions. :B
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:

I havenโ€™t heard anything about Morganza, yet, but Is pretty early to open the Bonnet Carre. Theyโ€™ve upped the opening to over 200 gates.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
If you get a chance, check out The Control of Nature by John McPhee -- part of the book is about the control structures on the Mississippi. Excellent book, brilliant writer.

Other parts of the book are about debris flows in California and lava flows in Iceland.

I think that I have a couple of his books, but not that one....may have to check it out! Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
I've read about the close call they had years ago at the Old River Control Structure. What a catastrophe it would be if they lost the Mississippi to the Atchefalaya valley.

Once they relocated the city....Morgan City, would be the โ€œnewโ€ New Orleans! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I've read about the close call they had years ago at the Old River Control Structure. What a catastrophe it would be if they lost the Mississippi to the Atchefalaya valley.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:

Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers are running wide open into the Ohio. No capacity left to hold anything back.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you get a chance, check out The Control of Nature by John McPhee -- part of the book is about the control structures on the Mississippi. Excellent book, brilliant writer.

Other parts of the book are about debris flows in California and lava flows in Iceland.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl