cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

going to Alaska with doggie

joebertaft
Explorer
Explorer
want to go next year to Alaska with my dog.Question is,,what does the Canadian government want to see for dog to go thru Canada,what shots does she need. I have all the shots here in Fla. Im wondering if Canada has any rules on additional shots.
16 REPLIES 16

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We always traveled with rabies and shot certificates. We also had a health certificate and other health information with us. Our dog had chronic health issues and I had them in case we needed to take her to a vet for any treatment. Fortunately we never needed them but I felt better having them.

We were never asked for any papers.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Okie Dokie...is this site any better?

http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-your-pet-to-canada
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
This information is from the Canadian site:

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/faq.html

Be cautious. This site is not an "official" site. The site is from Kenora and District Camp Owners Association and Rainey River Future Development Corporation.
This site is NOT what I would call an authoritative site.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
In all my years of traveling across the border with the dog, I was asked only once, and the only thing they cared about was where the line was that indicated when he would be due for his next rabies vaccine.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Rabies and any and all vets have always recommended a certificate of good health from them, ie, current vet.

When I went to Skagway this fall, US customs staff wanted to see dogs' papers. When I came back, Canadian Border guard didn't care about them. Of course, I was a returning Canadian who had been across for less than 24 hours.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
As Sue says it is best to have the paper work with you, though never been asked in all our travels to and from USA and the Cat is usually laying on the dash and the dog is on mom's lap.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed from Montana into Alberta one time with the dogs, so we made sure we got everything from the vet. When we asked if she needed to see the documentation, the border agent looked in and said, " As long as they aren't foaming at the mouth, you're good to go." I will say that she was something of a character and we enjoyed our brief interaction with her.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Rabies is the only required shot. Make sure you have the paperwork, not just the collar tag.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
This information is from the Canadian site:

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/faq.html
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
In the last 10 years of annual crossings the question is usually "Nice Dog, shots current?" A simple yes and they move on.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We got a rabies cert. from a vet. Never used it and when we tried to on first entry, agent got upset. As mentioned above, do not give them anything they don't ask for.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
I think the only actual requirement at the border is a rabies certificate - but ask your vet - they will know.

If you plan on kenneling your dog while out for longer day trips then you should also think about the vaccination against kennel cough (forget the name of it) - many kennels will ask to see your pups vaccination records and if that particular vaccination is not included then they will not board it.

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
We carried up to date shot records plus we got a health certificate from our vet. They didn't ask for anything at the border coming or going. Our lab sat up front in the motor home and had a blast barking at bears and moose as they crossed the road.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
But when I handed them to the Canadian customs guy he acted like he'd never seen anything like it before.

Did he ask to see them? Probably not. Never give them anything they didn't ask for when crossing a border!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad