cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Google Maps

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has anyone else noticed that Google Maps has absolutely lost it's mind ?
I was looking for the mileage from Madison junction, in Yellowstone, to Bakers Hole CG, just north of W. Yellowstone, now I know it's approximately 14 mi from the JCT. out the West entrance to West Yellowstone & roughly 9 mi. up to Bakers Hole, I was looking for the exact mileage.
Google has always been pretty good, but in this case, it tried to send me all the way down to Jackson in the Grand Teton area, then up Rt 22/33 to Rt 20 up to Bakers Hole, a total of 242 miles & 5 hours ?? :h :S What the heck is up with that.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
28 REPLIES 28

caver
Nomad
Nomad
yea that is kind of weird about the L section through west Yellowstone.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just sent a note to google maps about the problems. Let's see if they get it fixed.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Normally it is possible to put markers on closed routes, but this L shape segment from W Yellowstone to Mammoth (US287,US89) is different. It's almost as though someone removed it from the directions data base. Has anyone tried reporting an error?

You're right. It's behaving as if that section of Grand Loop Rd. has been removed from the routing database. If you try to add a waypoint there, you get an error:

Sorry, we could not calculate driving directions from "West Yellowstone, Mt" to "Grand Loop Rd, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190"
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Germania wrote:
Had the same problem with my Garmin a couple of years ago, we were in Cody heading to W.Yellowstone thru the Park. The Garmin would not show the route on the Park roads it kept showing routes outside park.
I've traveled lots of National parks with a Garmin GPS, and unless you force it or are already in the park, they tend to route you around the park rather than through it, even if you have toll roads on.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normally it is possible to put markers on closed routes, but this L shape segment from W Yellowstone to Mammoth (US287,US89) is different. It's almost as though someone removed it from the directions data base. Has anyone tried reporting an error?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
4runnerguy wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
caver wrote:
You can switch back to an older version of Google Maps.

Please tell us how! I need the old google back!

:B

Down in the lower right hand corner of the new Google maps is a little balloon with a question mark in it. Click on it and it will give you the option to switch back to "Classic" Google Maps.
I did that, now only the old site comes up.

YEA!

I've got my old google maps back too!
THANK YOU

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
I still have the old version, but I don't see what you're talking about.

I can't find it, but I know it was there once upon a time - may have been a beta version of Google Maps...

However, there is a work-around: you can add an intermediate destination in the middle of the route that is closed for winter, and Google will allow you to route that way, albeit with a warning.

For example: if you route from Buena Vista, CO to Aspen, CO, Google will send you the long way around because Hwy 82 is closed over Independence Pass for the winter: https://goo.gl/maps/mMLWC

But if you add a mid-point destination on Independence Pass, then Google will route it correctly, with a warning: This route includes roads that are closed in winter. https://goo.gl/maps/TQoCe
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
MPond wrote:
paulj wrote:
Yes this a winter closure issue. Notice also the warning: 'This route includes roads that are closed in winter.'

It won't let me put a destination point anywhere on the West Entrance - Norris - Mammoth road (except the junctions). So that's flagged as closed. Looks like someone entered incomplete, and possibly unnecessary, road closure information for the park.

Ideally it should let you specify when you are traveling, but for now it's taking the 'safe' choice and assuming you want to travel now. Programs like this have gotten a lot a flack for recommending impossible or unsafe routes.

It's definietly a winter closure issue. The old version of Google Maps had a setting to turn this off, but I can't find it right now on the new version.
I still have the old version, but I don't see what you're talking about.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
4runnerguy wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
caver wrote:

Please tell us how! I need the old google back!:B

Down in the lower right hand corner of the new Google maps is a little balloon with a question mark in it. Click on it and it will give you the option to switch back to "Classic" Google Maps.
I did that, now only the old site comes up.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

hudson49
Explorer
Explorer
Another way to get to "classic" Google maps is to use this URL -- google.com/local

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
caver wrote:

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Google Maps has absolutely lost it's mind ?
I was looking for the mileage from Madison junction, in Yellowstone, to Bakers Hole CG, just north of W. Yellowstone, now I know it's approximately 14 mi from the JCT. out the West entrance to West Yellowstone & roughly 9 mi. up to Bakers Hole, I was looking for the exact mileage.
Google has always been pretty good, but in this case, it tried to send me all the way down to Jackson in the Grand Teton area, then up Rt 22/33 to Rt 20 up to Bakers Hole, a total of 242 miles & 5 hours ?? :h :S What the heck is up with that.

I gave up on the Goggle Driving map long ago and use http://www.bing.com/maps/ for me it is just easier to right clik the location with the way points and get fairly reliable results.

I also use the birds eye view to see the CG's or locations I'm going to.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Down in the bottom right of the new google maps screen, there are some icons, (I changed back a long time ago, so I cannot remember what they are). Fool around with them some and one of the them will give you the option to change back to the old google maps and then remember the change so that everytime you open the google maps page, it will be the old google maps. Works for me.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.