cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Navigating Big Cities

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A great weakness for me is navigating big cities. While Tijuana cannot compare to The Big Enchilada it is big enough for me to get all twisted around.

My budget is pathetic. I dare not look at a screen unless I pull off the roadway and my ears need a loud clear command voice.

Maybe I can mount the screen way up near horizontal level.

And reasonably accurate software,

Anything available under a C-Note?
14 REPLIES 14

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We changed the voice on our GPS to British as the diction is clearer and easier to hear on our GPS. The American English is just mushy and hard to understand on our Garmin.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I think you can set google maps to repeat a direction. I'm not sure how.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am fluent in Spanish but some terminology gets fuzzy with bad hearing. What about repeating a voice command? I need mastoid hearing aids 😞

A big screen would help if I have to pull over.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have an S4 then you should be able to download and use Google Maps from the Play Store. I used Google Maps on an even older phone to navigate from Panama City to Boquete.
The drive took us through at least one confusing South American town (I was totally at the mercy of the map application) and out to the small mountain town of Boquete.

Yes, Google Maps speaks directions. Maybe you could use an earbud in one ear?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Get an earpiece like the police use, hard to see and use it on the right ear the policeman will need to really look hard, they might think that it is a hearing aid.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Cops sees headphones $90 ticket. Might as well argue with a fence post 😞

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

What about noise cancelling headphones? (leave one ear open).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps spoken directions are as good as any. How about a Bluetooth headset or earbuds to get the sound better and reduce background noise?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I shut off the audio since I'm on a motorcycle but I've found Garmin devices to be amazingly spot on. One way streets, U-turns, twists and turns the Garmin rarely lets me down.
Garmins sold with North American maps loaded include Canada and Mexico, saving at least $100 in maps you don't have to buy and load.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
To be blunt, I need clearly spoken instructions shouted at my poor hearing. I can hear cellular speech through a Galaxy S4 but not through a burner.

The screen would be for when speech isn't clear enough and I hassle my way off the roadway and park. Getting old is no fun. The problem is they erect signage and place it immediately after a critical junction. And kilometer after kilometer of streets with no names.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Not all gps devices have good Mexico maps. Google maps is awesome in the cities. I often Google in HMO for some obscure business and Google gets me there. But that is in my toad. In an RV you could get into a lot of trouble using Google. Cost is Zero. Uber drivers in Mexico use Google.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Maybe someone can bring one down to him??? Or, we are sold on eBay's Global Shipping Program. Fast and reliable and not TOO expensive for what you get. So far, everything has been less expensive than Mercado Libre or Amazon.mx.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
A 2nd hand Garmin, pretty much any model should do nicely.

They claim lifetime updates are for the original owner but they don't enforce it. My 2nd hand Nuvi is closing in on 12 years old and still updating and works great.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

I use google maps on my cell phone. I do have a tablet that I can use as well. I got a good quality suction cup (window) magnetic (cell phone) that holds it at in appropriate position. It does use some data, but the maps are accurate and the cost for a device is zero (unless you need the size of a small tablet).
Regards, Don