cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grand canyon(south rim) to Sedona

rstoro
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the best and safest route leaving the grand canyon and heading to Sedona driving a 37 Foot motorhome towing a Honda CRV?? Looked at the Good Sam route and it takes us down Alt 89 which does not look like we would want to go!
Thanks
R & S
Cumming, Ga.
6 REPLIES 6

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
jolooote wrote:
89 south to Flagstaff is an easy beautiful route. On the way be sure to take the scenic side trip thru Sunset crater scenic route. Very nice paved 2 lane hyway. Many amazing Indian ruins along it. I'd do this route and skip the traffic and madhouse of Sedona.

Yes 89 "to" Flagstaff is fine, there is no "89" from Flagstaff to Sedona. The OP is asking about 89A. Highway 89A runs from south of Flagstaff to/through Sedona. This road is very narrow and currently under several miles of serious construction. The pilot car will take you through 3 sections of mud, gravel and dirt road, expect to sit for 10 to 20 minutes at each stop. I rode this stretch on my Harley several weeks ago.

No vehicles 50' or more are permitted on this stretch of 89A. The OP's 37' motorhome towing a Honda will easily be over 50'. Most of 89A has little if any shoulder and very few pull outs. The road surface for the last 15 miles into Sedona is full of pot holes and in very poor repair. Expect heavy traffic just about any hour of the day. For the record there are few if any places to park the OP's rig in Sedona.

Far better to find an RV Park/CG and tour the area in your Toad. Dead Horse Ranch SP in Cottonwood would be a great place to stay, reservations are always a good idea there.

:C

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Delete - duplicate post...

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
I-17 is the best route to take South of I-40. If you are actually staying in Sedona, take the AZ-179 exit ant take that to Sedona. A lot of folks like to stay in the Camp Verde/Cottonwood area to visit Sedona and the surrounding area. For Camp Verde/Cottonwood take the AZ-260 exit.

X2
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
89 south to Flagstaff is an easy beautiful route. On the way be sure to take the scenic side trip thru Sunset crater scenic route. Very nice paved 2 lane hyway. Many amazing Indian ruins along it. I'd do this route and skip the traffic and madhouse of Sedona.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like beautiful country despite slow speeds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I-17 is the best route to take South of I-40. If you are actually staying in Sedona, take the AZ-179 exit ant take that to Sedona. A lot of folks like to stay in the Camp Verde/Cottonwood area to visit Sedona and the surrounding area. For Camp Verde/Cottonwood take the AZ-260 exit.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler