cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida tolls

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a EZ Pass on our Class C, but i have heard that florida does not accept EZ Pass, and that we need a "Sun Pass"? Is that still the case? If so, do i have to order one, or can I get one when we get down there?
Proud father of a US Marine
16 REPLIES 16

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Just back in NH from the Keys - never hit a toll road (in FL), and didn't really go out of our way to avoid them - so easy to do without SunPass.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Sun Pass will work on EZ Pass in FL, however I can't say if the vise-versa will work as I only use Sun Pass. I have traveled all over the state with Sun Pass and never had a problem.

As a note, when you go through the toll, a sign should light up and say "Thank You". (And sometimes a low balance warning, depending on your balance)

Worst case is they will mail you a ticket. I have 'heard' that it can take months to receive it. I cannot verify that from personal experience though...

I agree with Ivylog, just put it on the bottom of your windshield and it will 'see' it as sticking it on the top of windshield will allow it to fall down, just a matter of time. The little suction cups are not great...
I stick mine on glass with dashboard for support, in the lower left near the VIN.

Truthfully, I have had mine fall off glass and lay on floorboard of my car, and it still picked it up...
Inquiring minds want to know...

GraciesDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Just stopping and buying a pass is not going to work...you have to set up an account and put money in it and add the serial # of the pass. Put it on the bottom of the windshield if you are worried about it being seen by the transponder.
Federal law required all pass to work but even the pushed back Oct 2016 date has not happened. Sun Pass is good in GA and NC too, not that there are that many toll roads in those two states.

...Yet. :M

If you purchase a t'sponder *in person,* you just tell them how much you want to add to your account (minimum $25) and, easy-peasy, DONE! I think that SunPass also activates immediately and not like EZ-Pass which takes a full 24 to 48 hours to be recognized by their system.
Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker - The Traveling Siblings!
Co-pilots: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just stopping and buying a pass is not going to work...you have to set up an account and put money in it and add the serial # of the pass. Put it on the bottom of the windshield if you are worried about it being seen by the transponder.
Federal law required all pass to work but even the pushed back Oct 2016 date has not happened. Sun Pass is good in GA and NC too, not that there are that many toll roads in those two states.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at the Florida Welcome Center on I-95 and buy a Florida Pass.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
In South Florida, they have the "toll by plate" program where they just send you a bill. On the Turnpike, they do have old fashioned toll booths with attendants. I am not sure if the "toll by plate" will work with a Class C, and be advised that the tolls are a little higher and a monthly service charge with toll by plate.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
EZ Pass transmits fine from windshield of Class C.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Living here in Florida I see Class Cs regularly on the toll roads, especially on our trips to the Keys. I would assume the transponder is activated even with the overhang on the C's, and also TCs.

I inquired about using my Sunpass on a recent trip traveling from WV to Va on I believe it was I 64 ? Was told it was not excepted.

****** I have not tried my Sunpass yet with our C........so please don't send me your bill ....LOL !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
BobKrogstie wrote:
Of course there's the old Luddite option: stop and hand them cash.

More and more toll roads are going fully automated with no attendants available

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Just got off the phone with a Sun Pass rep. I told her that i had a motorhome with a overhang over the winshield and if there were any special mounting instructions like i have for my EZ Pass, she just read the website instructions of putting it 2- 3 inches from the TOP of the windshield..... I'm not real convinced that the Sun Pass mini will work there. :h

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Of course there's the old Luddite option: stop and hand them cash.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Federal legislation called for E-Z Pass and Sun Pass to be interchangeable by now. Apparently there was no teeth in the law.

Sun Pass & E-Z Pass have just been dragging their feet.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I was checking out the Sun Pass website, and it said that florida may be interchangeable with EZ Pass around 2022??? Geez... I figure we will order a "mini" for the RV. BUT... We have a Class C, and according to the official Sun Pass website, it has to go in the windshield... The EZ Pass transponder i have now attaches to the front license plate because of the overhang on the class C ... That has me a bit worried.. And we also carry a motorcycle on a hitch mounted carrier, and im guessing we may need one for that too when we go for rides

:?

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
We have both EZ Pass and SunPass, not interchangeable. You can order online from SunPass.com
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake