cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greenville SC to Townsend Tenn.

Harley_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be at an Airstream Rally near Greenville SC at the end of March. palmettocove.com

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tremont+Outdoor+Resort/@35.67058,-83.716764,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x...

Then want to cross the Smokies and end up in Townsend, Tenn where we'll be staying at Tremont RV park.

Looking for a safe way around the Smokies. Have done the route from Cherokee to Gatlinburg, but don't feel like pulling a 27' AS through those curves. Any suggestions. Thanks.
"You're a long time underground!"
11 REPLIES 11

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! But I'm busy paying for camping vacations and saving for two to go to college.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Harley_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
"Enjoyed reading your background on motorcycling. I rode through my 20's and 30's and then sold so we could raise kids. I may have another someday, I'm 46 now."

Perfect age to ride a beautiful '07 Triumph Speedmaster. Great buy for an American. 30% exchange rate in your favour.
">

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I found the dates online. I probably can swing by! It would be nice to walk around and gaze at all of the "bucket lists", LOL.

Enjoyed reading your background on motorcycling. I rode through my 20's and 30's and then sold so we could raise kids. I may have another someday, I'm 46 now.

Have you been to palmetto before? If not, it makes a GREAT location for a rally like that. It isn't my pick for a "camping" spot, but for getting together with groups of people it is laid out nicely. Wide open spaces and right at the base of Table Rock. There's a nice mountain creek to explore towards the back, and the community building and pavilion are really nice.

I'm sure you'll eat at Aunt Sue's at some point. It's really the only restaurant close enough. Neat place.

Harley_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
"
Edit: Can you post a link for the Airstream event? My daughter's FIL has an old airstream he is finishing restoring. Since he only lives about 30 miles down Hwy 11, he may be interested in at least running up for the day."

Rally is here.... http://palmettocove.com

Rally info... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288/alumalina-spring-2016-edition-143824.html

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you are going that way, I'll give you a little more info.

For groceries and other supplies, you have two easy places to stop.
If you only need a Super Walmart, you can stop at Newport, TN exit 435 and head south about 1/2 mile. Usually cheap fuel here too and not too bad to get in with a trailer.

If you need more, there is a Walmart and Sam Club along with a few
other small strip mall stores at Hendersonville, NC exit 49 and head about 3/4 mile north. Turn left where you see the dedicated turn lane and Chic-falet. Walmart is down a bit and Sam's is hidden beyond them, don't see it until almost on it.

You may already know, but for those that don't, in Townsend there is an IGA about 1/3 mile to the right of the Tee. They also usually have some pretty cheap fuel.

Make sure you stop in at the Little River Railroad and Lumber Museum a little further up the road. Even if they aren't open, some of the outdoor displays are very nice. We stopped when they were closed but I want to go back when they are open.

Have fun. It'll be another couple of months before I get back up that way and can hardly wait to visit Cades Cove again.

Edit: Can you post a link for the Airstream event? My daughter's FIL has an old airstream he is finishing restoring. Since he only lives about 30 miles down Hwy 11, he may be interested in at least running up for the day.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Harley_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
kohldad had good advice. I live 20 minutes from where you're staying near Greenville, and that's the route I'd take.

Hope you enjoy your visit. Based on your name, are you going to have a motorcycle with you? I've spent years motorcycling these roads. There aren't many places better!

Hello...Yes, I've made a copy of kohldad's route and I'll follow that. Also noted that the other posters included some of those roads as well....which I appreciate.

Looking forward to being in your neck of the woods come late March. And no, I won't have a motorcycle with me.

When I signed up here in 2004, I had a '91 Harley Ultra Classic. Loved that ride. As I got into my mid 60s, the weight of it became a bit much, so I moved on to a lighter 2007 Triumph Speedmaster which I grew very fond of. As I reached my senior years and started tripping over my own feet, I hung up the keys a couple years ago. That mint, fully customized Triumph still rests in my garage. May sell it this spring.

For the passed 10 years I hauled around a 2005 Bigfoot TT. It was the only make of trailer I wanted back then. When I was kid living in the Alberta foothills, I'd see those long shiny caravans of Airstream Trailers snaking down the highways. Something about an Airstream! So, I spent the kids inheritance on the last thing in my bucket WANT list and bought a a 26U Airstream which I'll be hauling through your beautiful countryside. There'll be 130 of us in your area for 4 days the end of March. Drop by.

http://palmettocove.com

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad had good advice. I live 20 minutes from where you're staying near Greenville, and that's the route I'd take.

Hope you enjoy your visit. Based on your name, are you going to have a motorcycle with you? I've spent years motorcycling these roads. There aren't many places better!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If you do the I-40 rt. don't go 321 (to Cosby)at that point. Continue to Newport (exit 432) and go across 411 to Sevierville, then down to 321 off of the parkway (441/66). The road is much more pulling a trailer friendly BUT....you will get into a stretch of hills and curves as you get towards Townsend. 321 from I-40 will take you right into downtown G'burg. It can be packed with traffic at times so maneuvering a trailer might present a big challenge.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since it is near the intersection of 276 and 11, the choice is simple.

1) 11 north to 25.
2) 25 north until it merges with I26.
3) Take I26 to I40 west into TN
4) exit 432 to catch 411 south
5) In Seiverville, left on hwy 66
6) Right on Hwy 321 to Townsend.
7) After you get through the bad curves and straigten out you will cross a river and come to a Tee.
😎 turn left and go to Tremont.

By the way, this is basically the way Google sends you. I usually disagree, but this time they are on the money. The are more scenic ways to go, but since you said you didn't want to deal with the curves, this is the best. Worst curves are the last few miles on Hwy 321.

An alternative would be to take 321 from I40, but this means you would have to negotiate through downtown Gatlinburg (not to bad) and then the winding road from Sugarloaf Visitor Center through the GSMNP to Tremont. Nice in a car and doable with the trailer, but not necessarily fun.

Been traveling these roads for over 30 years and know of a few different ways to go and some nasty little shortcuts, but not what you want on a non-adventurous route. 🙂
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Retired_Phone_M
Explorer
Explorer
123 to 76 at Westminster. 76 to 19 at Blairsville. 19 to 74. 74 to 411 at Ocoee. 411 to 321 at Maryville. 321 to Townsend.

411 is four lane from Ocoee to Maryville.

Jim
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab with 5.7L V8 and Tow Package.
2007 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 21MB
Peaches - Lhasa Apso/Mut Mix

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV TRAVELER safe way would be

I85 to I26 at Spartenburg
I26 to I40 at Ashville
I40 to US321 between Hartford and Newport
US321 to Townsend via Cosby, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge

If you want to miss all curves and hills then stay on I40 to I75 via Knoxville
I75 to US321 at Lenoir City
US321 to Townsend via Lenoir City and Marysville

The RV CAMPER more fun way would be to head for Cherokee and cross the Smoky Mtns using US441 the way you went the last time...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS