cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help getting from I-5 to Hwy 101 from Az to San Francisco

allencg
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling from AZ to San Francisco with our 40ft Class A diesel and would like to know which route has the least grade change from I -5 to Hwy 101 in Calif. We will be pulling a CR-V toad. This is our maiden voyage and are trying to decide on CA41-46 or CA152 or I580.
12 REPLIES 12

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
If you time your trip north on the 280 (afternoon to late afternoon) you will most likely be one of only a few going north at high speed and the south bound side will be a long parking lot.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
allencg wrote:
We'll be traveling from Bakersfield to the San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica approximately 300 miles on Oct 8. Our trip planner has us taking I5 north to Los Banos, then Pacheco Pass Hwy west (Hwy 152?) to Gilroy where we should then head north on US 101. Read a few post relating Pacheco Pass Hwy could be difficult. We live in Florida and all of our trips have been fairly localized to southeast so flat driving just using automatic transmission. This will be first time to be concerned about adjusting transmission mode and making gear changes due to grades. We're driving a Jayco (Now called Entegra Coach) 40' DP with a Cum ISC 360hp and Allison Trans 3000MH. Thanks for your help.

I missed this post when I responded earlier today. Based on your trip of Bakersfield to Pacifica you probably want to take the route you listed here. 152 does have a steep climb, but it's a freeway and you'll probably be over in the right lane with the trucks. The steep climb is only a few miles long. I realize you Florida people are used to flat lands but the grades on 152 would rank at about a 1.5 on a scale of 1 to 10 of California mountain roads. I think the highest elevation on 152 is maybe 1200 feet.

You don't want to go up to 580 since your destination is Pacifica. Going up 580 will put you in the thick of bay area traffic and it will mean you'll have to cross the Oakland Bay Bridge. Toll is $20 (maybe more) for a motorhome and toad.

Take 152 over to Gilroy and then go north on 101. You'll want to get off 101 in San Jose and get onto 280 and take it North. 280 is a much nicer freeway and way less congested than 101 going up the peninsula. Take 280 up to 1 and then get over onto Southbound 1 and come back down the few miles into Pacifica. The earlier roads that cut over from 280 to Pacifica are crowded residential roads that take you over a steep hill. Going up to 1 keeps you on freeway.

Did you reserve a cliff site at Pacifica? You pull in forward to them and the front of your motorhome hangs over the cliff! Okay it doesn't really hang over, but when you look out the front windows you'll think you're hanging over the cliff.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I recall that the 152 had some grade change but we were headed eastbound from 101 to the 5. The 41/46 should be OK. Keep in mind that the 101 is very curvy and may cause some car sickness but the scenery is incredible. And I wouldn't worry too much about the grad changes in your DP, it'll have plenty of power.

You may be thinking of Hwy. 1 as being curvy with great scenery. 101 is NOT curvy and the scenery is nice in spots but nothing compaired to Hwy 1 north of Cambria to Monterey.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
I second the recommendation of 126 west out of Santa Clarita/Valencia over to the 101, it's flat and easy. You have to go through Fillmore but that's easy. 101 runs right along the ocean for awhile.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
allencg wrote:
We will be traveling from AZ to San Francisco with our 40ft Class A diesel and would like to know which route has the least grade change from I -5 to Hwy 101 in Calif. We will be pulling a CR-V toad. This is our maiden voyage and are trying to decide on CA41-46 or CA152 or I580.

None of those roads are bad. 41-46 is a long two-lane road that can be prone to having a lot of traffic depending on day of week and time. It's the main route for everybody from Fresno to Bakersfield to get over to the coast. 152 is mostly freeway all the way over but changes to 2 lanes for the last few miles into Gilroy. I580 is also freeway and only goes up to 1000 feet. It is four lanes wide at the steepest part. 580 also has a LOT of construction going on right now and depending on time of day it's a major commuter road.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Unless time is a big premium, I would get off the boring, rutted, traffic filled I5 asap.

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
That route over 152 is as good as any. By the time you get to Bakersfield you will have already been over a few grades by coming north on I-5 or west over Hwy 58. In San Jose I like to switch over to I-280. Less traffic than 101 and more scenic.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

allencg
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be traveling from Bakersfield to the San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica approximately 300 miles on Oct 8. Our trip planner has us taking I5 north to Los Banos, then Pacheco Pass Hwy west (Hwy 152?) to Gilroy where we should then head north on US 101. Read a few post relating Pacheco Pass Hwy could be difficult. We live in Florida and all of our trips have been fairly localized to southeast so flat driving just using automatic transmission. This will be first time to be concerned about adjusting transmission mode and making gear changes due to grades. We're driving a Jayco (Now called Entegra Coach) 40' DP with a Cum ISC 360hp and Allison Trans 3000MH. Thanks for your help.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
46 is light rolling hills, no steep grades. On I-5 you'll have a long steep grade from Castiac up to Lebec then downhill to Grapevine. One option is to take 126 which is fairly flat to 101 then north. 101 has a 7% grade, 5 miles long north of San Luis Obisbo. I find this grade much easier and shorter than Grapevine. 101 is very scenic.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It would help to know your destination around San Francisco. Where are you staying? There are easy ways to get on 101 without going through the city, especially with a 40' MH and being your maiden voyage.

Napa Valley Expo is a great place to stay with a big rig. Then drive your car to the Larkspur ferry landing on the north side of the bay and take the short ferry across the bay to Fisherman's Landing in the city. From there you could pick up a small van tour of the city. It will return you to Fisherman's Landing, the ferry and your car. This is an excellent way to tour the city. Even our daughter who lives there was impressed with the tour. Here's a link:

Small Van Tour of San Francisco

Also, are you going to continue up 101 from San Francisco?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Any mountain range between I-5 (interior valley), and 101 (coast), won't be very big. It's the mountain range to the east of I-5 that is the biggy.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I recall that the 152 had some grade change but we were headed eastbound from 101 to the 5. The 41/46 should be OK. Keep in mind that the 101 is very curvy and may cause some car sickness but the scenery is incredible. And I wouldn't worry too much about the grad changes in your DP, it'll have plenty of power.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE