cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with fishing in Alaska question

LUVTOTRKCP
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Alaska for several months this summer. We want to do some fishing as we travel and I am wondering if our fishing gear from the midwest will do for some stream and ocean fishing. I was planning on taking two medium duty spinning reels loaded with new 15# line. Our rods are medium duty spinning rods. I was going to get a long handle net also. I thought we would buy our baits locally.
Do any of you have ides to share?
Thanks for your help
8 REPLIES 8

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
The felt sole ban was because tourists bring invasive species up from the lower 48 in their felt soled wading shoes...and spread them to Alaskan waters.

Didn't used to have ticks up here either, now we do.

Most of the kenai river banks are closed to wading. Keep that in mind also. If you want to fish the kenai river, you need to do it from a dock/platform or a boat. If you want to avoid the crowds, make REALLY good friends with someone who lives on the river, or pay a charter.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
With felt sole wading shoes being illegal, I wonder when the fish and game folks will start requiring the moose and bears to shave their legs before they enter a new stream or lake?LOL I guess all the water birds could have to stop at a bird wash station before changing lakes as well.

The felt sole rule is just another feel good rule for fish and game management, I would guess. But it is the rule so do follow it. I have heard it estimated that on the Kenai, on a weekend, about one out of three fisherman are fish and game employees.

I carry a pocket sized GPS with me when I get away from the main fishing areas, such as the Russian River. As mentioned above the written rules can be hard to understand. The rules may change, at the large rock 100 yards beyond the confluence of Clear Creek with Bear Creek on June 15 or if changed by emergency rule changes by the state.
On the Russian for example, only unweighted flies may be used. Any weight has to be 18 inches above the curve of the hook. This means no weighted eyes on the flies. So just read the rules, check with the stores, ask any uniformed officer you see, and hope for the best. LOL check every thing yourself, especially what you read on the forums, including this.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you "want to do some fishing while you travel" I would put 10 lb test Spider Wire on your spinning rod. It's dia is like 2 lb test and will cast well and will work good for trout, grayling, and dolly varden but strong enough for salmon. I landed 2 King salmon about 15 lbs each with this set up. You need to be a lawyer to interpret the regulations,each body of water is different and different limits from year to year based on the number of salmon in the runs. I found it helpful to stop into local fishing tackle stores and ask for help with the regulations. Have fun.

alaskan-rver
Explorer
Explorer
The regulations are convoluted up here regarding things like being allowed to use live bait, what you can keep, etc. Get ahold of a copy of the regs and understand them as they apply to the body of water you are fishing.

If a tourist can find a fishing spot, chances are overwhelming that the Department of Natural Resources also knows about it, and could very well drop by to see if you have an Alaska fishing license.

Felt-soled wading boots are illegal up here.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Valdez on the 18 of July, the Silver salmon derbie starts. There is some very good salmon fishing just a few feet from the shore, you should bring some waterproof fishing pants as the fishing seems to be better if you get a little further in the water and especially when the tide is coming up, you might see some bear too. In Valdez, you are allowed 6 silver a day / 12 in possession and you catch them quickly. Nothing fancy, throwing 3 kook attached to anything and you catch the salmon by snagging them on any part of the body, you will also need a net. You could rent the fishing gear in town.

If you'r fly fishing on the Kenai, near Cooper Landing or Russian river for example, you have some good fishing store in the area. Basicly you choose your type of big fly with a hook, put a weight on the line, get in the river, lots of current, and just throw the fly upstream, if there is a salmon going up the river with the mouth open while the fly is going down, you catch it, not allowed to snagging. You will need a net also.

There is many charter at pretty well all the town and village near water, so lot's of option.

I hope I will go back one day and spend most of the time fishing. Check out the dates carrefully, different salmon for different period.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
2nd what Tony said...

- You'll often need more weight (either a sinker or heavier lure) on your river rig than you might think;
- Be real careful about falling/slipping....Alaska waters kill with cold
- "Fly" is something one does with an airplane not a type of fishing. :)...but if you're into fly fishing and will do it after your trip, I'd suggest not bringing any fly gear and making a visit to Mountain View sports in Anchorage....kind of world class.
- If you want to keep the costs absolutely as low as possible, I think I've caught every species in Alaska (except halibut, rockfish, etc) on rigs like yours with alternating terminal tackle....but I'd suggest some lighter/different gear for trout/grayling/DV....you'll be a lot more successful and won't have to work as hard.
- I'd skip the net until you're up North AND only if you're salmon fishing and need it.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Your rods will be good for Pike, too heavy for rainbows and Dolly Varden for the most part and way too heavy for grayling. Pike love Rapala's medium size, spinners. Grayling require very small lures or flies. Standard gear for much of the salmon fishing you will encounter is a 9wt/9ft fly rod with a 20lb leader. Sockeye and Pinks run very close to the river's edge, almost at your feet. In many rivers you will need more weight, an ounce or so, than you expect. You'll likely not need the net till you get to Alaska and YES Trustworthy in Soldotna is an excellent source for gear. Take it easy in the parking lot 😉 In Anchorage there is a Cabelas, I think a Bass Pro (their Alaska stores are quite different) and Mountain View Sporting Goods (hard to beat). Where are you fishing?? For the ocean a guide is really best and they have the gear. Last summer felt soled waders were illegal, I saw there was a proposed rule change, but not sure what ever happened. Alaska waters are deceptively fast and cold. Be careful, accidents are the main cause of death in Alaska. Don't neglect BC for lake fishing, best in the world, hands down.

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
Some current fishing info HERE. Scroll down to the fishing area.

You spinning gear would be fine for salmon off the beach, fresh or salt. It is likely too heavy for grayling.

Trustworthy in Soldotna sells a lot of suitable gear at reasonable to low prices if you want something else.