Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Serrias

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
For you Northern California types:

One route we are currently considering for this Summer includes a leg from Carson City to Jamestown. I've towed extensively in the Rockies and have no problem with places like Monarch or the Million Dollar. However, We have no experience with the specific roads and routes in the Sierra.

My trip planner warns of low clearance on U.S. 50 in Nevada along the East side of Lake Tahoe and the trucker's atlas agrees. That is fairly easy to avoid.

Now my question.

The Trip Router wants to send me down Highway 4 through the Stanislaus NF via Tamarack to Angle's Camp.

From the map there are two options

1. Highway 88 through Kit Carson to Jackson then down 49 to Jamestown.

2. North to U.S. 50 at the South end of the lake, through Placerville and then South.

One and Two are about 35 miles longer than the base route. None is a long day and either 4 or 88 appear much more scenic than 50 but I have no idea how "drivable" they actually are with a 35 foot fiver.

Tell me more!

Thanks

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"
11 REPLIES 11

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Cave Rock Tunnel is higher in the center and RVs can easily fit in it. Semi trucks drive it.

However, there will be extensive work being done this summer and it will be reduced to one-lane which will make it even easier to drive through with the RV if you want to wait in lines.

http://carsonnow.org/story/02/12/2016/cave-rock-tunnel-lake-tahoe-be-extended-60-feet-summer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
I've traveled most of those routes numerous times. I most often took 88-89-50. Taking 88 over the Carson pass is a lovely trip, especially if you catch the wildflower blossoms in Hope Valley. There is an easy hike from Carson pass that takes you through some gorgeous fields of wildflowers.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Cave Rock might be 12'8" on the edge but otherwise plenty of clearance. I just went through there a couple weeks ago with mh that is 13'

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting. Obviously, experience is best, but GS Trip Planner, my Trucker's Atlas, and the Nevada DOT website list the Cave Rock Tunnel (just North of Cave Rock SP) as 12'-8". The height of my forward A/C shroud.

A
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, Ltrip, that is what I thought.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
88 it is!

Thanks

A

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen, I do not think there are any clearance issues on Hwy 50. People take RVs on that road all the time.
I live in Reno and have driven Hwy 50 many times, but not in an RV.
Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

Starcraft_1
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Northern California and have road my Harley many times through those areas. I recommend taking 88. You will love the scenery.4 over ebbetts pass I would not recommend. Hope that helps.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ltrip:
I do not remember any clearance issues on US 50. You maybe more familiar with it. I know traffic and scenery but clearance issues?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
I will completely agree....do not take Hwy 4 with a trailer.
50 or 88 will be fine.
50 going through So Lake Tahoe you will encounter a lot of traffic. Avoid that if you can.
And 50 probably has more traffic over all than 88.
I suggest 88 for you.
Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Hwy 4, Ebbetts Pass. They must be kidding.

Wikipedia, not known as an RV authority says "Today, Ebbetts Pass is one of the least traveled passes in the Sierra Nevada. An extensive section of highway over the pass is less than two lanes with no dividing line. It has very steep sections with hairpin corners.[11] The eastern slope is particularly difficult, as many of the hairpin corners are blind, and steepen suddenly at the apex, making it necessary to shift to first gear in most vehicles. It is rarely used by commercial traffic and is not recommended for vehicles towing long trailers.[12]"

I, who have driven this road several times (in my 20-ft class C), agree with them.

If you are not going up/down the western slope higher than Bear Valley, then maybe OK.

My favorite Hwy 4 road sign:

This page has more info and videos:
http://scenic4.org/
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed