Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway 101 in Oregon

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

We are traveling from Eureka, Ca to Florence Oregon and would like to know if anyone has advice on whether it is better to take Hwy 101 or get to Interstate 5 and take that north.

If you suggest Interstate 5, which roads would you recommend getting to 5 from 101 (e.g. 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass, and 126 from Eugene to Florence).

Thanks! Mark
9 REPLIES 9

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DandM-AG wrote:
Hello all,

We are traveling from Eureka, Ca to Florence Oregon and would like to know if anyone has advice on whether it is better to take Hwy 101 or get to Interstate 5 and take that north.

If you suggest Interstate 5, which roads would you recommend getting to 5 from 101 (e.g. 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass, and 126 from Eugene to Florence).

Thanks! Mark

from eureka to florence I doubt I 5 would be faster, in fact may take more time and is a very boring drive. 101 is a very nice drive, easy to do, very scenic. in the summer it will be slow, but you'll enjoy it.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great input! We will plan to take 101. We will wave as well Jay Pat!
Thanks again, Mark

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Newport, now.
Will be working my way south.
My rig is 60' long.
If I see you, I'll wave!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Y-Guy
The southern Oregon portion of 101 is pretty easy, some of the highway is not right along the coast so it's a bit wider and easier to drive. Once you go North of Florence you get into more of a curvy narrow portion of 101. If you plan on heading inland at Florence on 126 you might consider cutting across instead at Reedsport and take Hwy 38 to Drain North on 99 and then catch up with I-5 from there. Much better road and easier drive IMHO.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
101 is a beautiful drive, albeit slow. If you have the time take it. If your in a hurry then I5.

X2, The route I take every year is I-5 to 7 Feathers RV Resort( exit 99) in Canyonville. Then north the next day on Hwy 42, just north of Canyonville , then west to 101. I only took 199 once and did not find this route RV friendly. Doable but not my first choice.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
And even with 101 being the more scenic route, I would guess that it is also the shortest.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I consider it the most scenic drive in America - do not miss it

We lived in Lincoln City on the central Oregon coast and go back often. In 2014 we spent 7 weeks in January and February on the coast and again in 2015 we spent 3 weeks on the coast.

The Whale watching tours in Depoe Bay are great, we spotted whales both years from shore.

Any one of the Mo's restaurants on the coast is great. For the view we like the one in the south end of Lincoln City on Siletz Bay - from the restaurant we always see bald eagles and sea lions on the sand bar across the water.

You will also see lots of sea lions on the water front in Newport.

Of course no trip to the coast would be complete without going agate hunting on the beaches.

For the view go to the Inn at Spanish Head in Lincoln City and go to the top floor. I was General Manager there in 1972.

Pier 101 in Lincoln City has razor clams to die for. I attended the opening of the restaurant 40 years ago.

A free attraction with a world class view is The Lookout Observatory & Gift Shop 3 miles South of Depoe Bay @ Cape Foulweather (spotted whales from here in 2015) – it is now run by the state of Oregon
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
101 is a beautiful drive, albeit slow. If you have the time take it. If your in a hurry then I5.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
No question.....Hwy 101!!!!! Don't expect it to be fast, though. Take your time and enjoy the views. You'll be in the company of lots of other RVers.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara