cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway 2, Washington State closed due to wildfire.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 2, Stevens Pass Highway, just closed near Coles Corner due to a large and very dangerous wildland fire. The highway is closed about ten miles west of Leavenworth.

Several hundred homes just down wind from the fire have gone to immediate evacuations, pray for the people and the firefighters.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.
12 REPLIES 12

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer

This shot is from Coles Corner, just south of Lake Wenatchee. The shot is looking to the south east. The photo makes it look like the fire is on the east side of Highway 2, but it's on the west side.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Nason Creek Rest Area is probably in the middle of the defense action (for the north side of the fire).

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Last word I received was that they are holding it as Highway 2, so far.

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a summer home in Plain, this sucks. Its about 15 min from coles corner. I hope the original Plain 1 room school doesn't get burned. I feel sorry for the people that live here full time. Most of the neighbors keep a very good defensible space around there homes. We are in the middle of a meadow that we water during the dry months.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
it's dry and hot... lots of beetle dead trees ready to go.

We went thru there in April and were noticing the vast amount of beetle killed timber.
Kathy

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
This is getting to be an annual event. Seems to me every time I've been to Wenatchee in July the last few years, that part of the world is afire.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
The fire is moving from Coles Corner to the east. It hasn't jumped Highway 2 yet. But it is spotting across the highway and the firefighters are putting out spot fires. IF they can hold it at the highway, then that would be a miracle.

If it pushes across it will go east towards the Wenatchee river and the town of Plan, several hundred homes. If it is pushed to the east and south, which is likely, it will burn down the Tumwater Canyoun towards Leavenworth. Leavenworth is about ten miles away.

Our daughter lives in Cashmere, and she said it's dark there due to the smoke.

The smoke plume is visible from Seattle, about a hundred miles to the west.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There are several CG's in that area, it would be a tragedy to lose any of them.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Lightening Bill Austin (USFS)is at Leecher Lookout this summer (instead of Goats Peak near Mazama,WA) and he is reporting on several fires and posting pictures from the lookout. Fires were caused by lightening strikes. If you want to get actual time reporting....

Go to Facebook and "like" his page. CLICKYhttps://www.facebook.com/lightningbill?fref=nf

he just posted 16 minutes ago that " Hwy 153 is closed at Pateros (WA) with local traffic only to lower Gold Creek Bridge !!!"
Kathy

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
The Ponderosa Estates area, and the town of Plain just went to Level 3, the highest level. We have many friends out in that area that are packing up and leaving. This fire is in an area that hasn't burned for many years, old decadent forest with a lot of fuel loading.

Winds this afternoon are predicted to be in the 15-18 mile range, and it was 104 degrees in Cashmere (just down the road) today.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
It's dry on the other side of the mountains. I was over there last week. Hopefully the homes are saved