cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 199 Crescent City to Grants Pass .... DON'T

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
The first section is not recommended by GS as RV friendly, for good reason. Very windy, NAROW along cliffs far above the Smith river. Was NOT suitable for a 40' coach towing a car. Once past that section, not bad. Might not be as bad going South, but not for me. I typically heed the GS recommendations, but figured that the rest was o.k. so how bad can it be?
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD
30 REPLIES 30

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
199 a bad road?

Wow! Must be absolutely white knuckle terrified on I70 across Kansas.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to be on a state hwy that i was uncomfortable on. 199 is a great highway. Yes some are not as comfortable as others in certain situations which is why it would be hard to give an opinion to someone you dont know. Try hwy 4 sometime.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Hwy 199 like most Kalifornia roads is terrible..

Must be why semis use it all the time from Medford/Grants Pass to Brooking and Crescent City.
cpaulsen

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 199 like most Kalifornia roads is terrible..

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those who gave positive and informative feedback. To those who are "EXPERT" drivers, I suggest you stay off the road for a few years until I gain the experience and confidence that you have.; just for your own safety.
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If 40' is max you can go a total of 50' max with a toad.
Depending on your toad you may need a 35' or less MH.
Glad to provide the entertainment 😉

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Last I read articulated vehicles are allowed an extra 10'.

time2roll wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
I'm not aware of an articulated RV but I'm sure someone will point me to one... 🙂
Anything that bends such as pulling a car behind your MH 😉
But California Highway Patrol officer sir my 45' motorhome and 30' trailer is an articulated RV and hence 75' is perfectly legal in you state, sir.

Thanks for the great entertainment! :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Gee, pulled my 36 foot fiver total length around 55 feet with no problem. Guess the difference is I maybe have more confidence in my abilities

Ouch!
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen 'kingpin' limits on roads like Sonora Pass (CA108). THat's short for 'kingpin-to-rear-axle (KPRA) distance on a truck tractor-semitrailer'.

I found a trucker discussion that claimed

US-199 has a 30 ft. KPRA advisory but reading the law below says they can't enforce below 38 ft.

Article about allowing 18 wheelers on 199

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
I'm not aware of an articulated RV but I'm sure someone will point me to one... 🙂
Anything that bends such as pulling a car behind your MH 😉

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OLD Kingsbury Grade from So. Lk. Tahoe to Minden/Gardnerville,

I remember the old Kingsbury road. If I recall the new one was built in 1966 or 1967. Geometrics, alignment, grades and curves are now much easier to negotiate. You can still enjoy some narrow, tight, off camber and very steep sections on California SR 4, Ebbetts Pass.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
199 is a great highway,been over it many many times in a 40 footer with a toad and semi pulling 40 ft trailer.never a problem i would rather drive it 10 times to 1 time through pdx or seattle.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We liked going to Ft Bragg but gave that up when we bought a 42' MH. It annoys me because I'm sure and know for sure that I'd be OK on Rt 20 :@ but it is what it is.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
This is website for 40 and greater MHs. There is no reference to overall length.
MH Restriction map
True but the links will get you to that info.

Bottom line: CA has a 65' towing length restriction. MHs over 40' towing or not are further restricted per the maps. I'm not aware of an articulated RV but I'm sure someone will point me to one... 🙂

Bob