cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-10 Across Texas - West to East

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Deming, NM today heading to Florida. Microsoft Streets and Trips is suggesting leaving I-10 and going through Austin rather than staying on I-10 through San Antonio. Is that a better way or should we just stay on I-10?

Thanks for your time.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
14 REPLIES 14

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Original Poster here - we ended up taking the 1604 around San Antonio. Wasn't bad. Thank you
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I take 1604 on the north side when heading to Fredericksburg.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:
Streets and Trips has route options. Click on "route", then "route options", "segments", "preferred roads", "preferred road types". Then you can "like/dislike" what you prefer. IF you just pick your start and end points, the program defaults to "shortest".

I believe it defaults to Fastest not shortest.

Nope. I tried it both ways. Leaving I-10 is shorter than staying on I-10, but it leaves the expressway. That's what the OP saw.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Streets and Trips has route options. Click on "route", then "route options", "segments", "preferred roads", "preferred road types". Then you can "like/dislike" what you prefer. IF you just pick your start and end points, the program defaults to "shortest".

I believe it defaults to Fastest not shortest.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
You can bypass San Antonio using Hwy 46 at Boerne or Loop 1604 around the north side of SA. Hwy 46 is fairly hilly between Boerne and New Braunfels but is OK unless you hit during school transportation hours (there's two very busy school zones to transit near the US 281 crossing). Loop 1604 is OK around the north side of SA except for rush hour. As a local I'd use 46.
Currently Between RVs

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been down that route many times, we often get on Texas 46 at Boerne just north of San Antonio and take it around to Seguine and back on I-10. That bypasses San Antonio. Don't know how much time it saves but 46 is a good road and you get to see German Texas. Good restaurants in New Braunfels.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
Hiker_01 wrote:
Depending on when you are planning to hit San Antonio (you definitely want to miss rush hour traffic), some people will leave I-10 at Boerne (NW of San Antonio) and take that through New Braunfels to Seguin. It's a pretty good road and keeps you out of San Antonio Traffic.

We take this route more than 290. 46 will take you back to I10 at Sequin.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
290/71/21 . You still hit the lower part of Austin, but it's not bad. The drive is much more enjoyable than I10. But you have to plan your fuel stops when traveling the 2 lanes.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Hiker_01 wrote:
Depending on when you are planning to hit San Antonio (you definitely want to miss rush hour traffic), some people will leave I-10 at Boerne (NW of San Antonio) and take that through New Braunfels to Seguin. It's a pretty good road and keeps you out of San Antonio Traffic.

Thanks Hiker, I'll take a look at that route depending upon when we get near San Antonio.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
I go far out of my way to AVOID Austin. I can't understand where S&Ts is taking you? Where do they route you after Austin?

Short answer: if you are going on across Texas to Demming, stay on I-10

Hwy 71 back to I-10 at Columbus. I'll stay on I-10. Thanks for the quick replies.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I go far out of my way to AVOID Austin. I can't understand where S&Ts is taking you? Where do they route you after Austin?

Short answer: if you are going on across Texas to Demming, stay on I-10

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on I-10