cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-30 E and I-40 E Road Conditions Arkansas and Tennessee

Discovery8
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone recently traveled I-30 E and I-40 E from Texas going East?

How are the roads on I-30 E/I-40 E (rough, pot holes, construction, etc.) through Arkansas and Tennessee?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I just came thru I-40 from OKC to Knoxville. The by pass around Nashville is in really rough shape. It looks as if they are planning on resurfacing and have milled down the top layer. Depending on time of day you hit Nashville you can go straight thru on 40 but traffic is always fairly heavy. For the most part I-40 is decent with a little bit of dodging pot holes here and there.

840 around the city will add about 20 miles but as stated, its good and has typical hiway traffic and goes thru country side.

Discovery8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information! Very helpful. We will be heading that way in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
I went from fort worth to pigeon forge for my christmas vacation and the roads were decent enough overall.
Once you get past Rockwall in texas its pretty much smooth sailing till texarkana where there was just some random construction but nothing serious.

Between texarkana and little rock its another pretty easy leg if you dont mind the truck traffic like mentioned above. The big construction jobs in this leg are all done

Little Rock to Memphis is a very heavily traveled route but there really isnt anything to worry about till you get closer to memphis

Memphis to nashville is a pretty boring drive as long as you fall in line behind a big truck. Do not get in a hurry driving this section!

From nashville to the east end of the state there its pretty much smooth sailing until you get toward knoxville, some random construction but nothing major to make ya white knuckle

Overall the route condition is pretty good now days. I used to hate driving through arkansas because the road would rattle your teeth out of your head
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
coolmom42 wrote:
Take I-840 around Nashville, it's a wonderful road. No big construction that I know of.

Check TDOT Smartway for info on delays, accidents, etc. Great site.

Agree...840 is a good road. One caution though: don't plan on easily getting fuel along 840. If traveling east on I-40, if you think you'll want fuel stop in Dickson just before getting on 840. If traveling west, stop in Lebanon. There may be some fuel options around Murfreesboro, but between there and the western terminus of the road at 40 west of Nashville, there's very little. And nothing that's an easy stop for an RV.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We tow over this route in Arkansas regularly: I-30 from Texarkana to I-40 in Little Rock. The bypass around SOUTH in Little Rock flows well even in the heavy traffic; never had a slowdown.

The real negative of this route (and there is no better that I know of) is the extremely heavy truck traffic. It is not unusual to have trucks running side by side in both lanes of traffic.

The only time I would avoid this route would be in moderate to heavy rain. The spray from the trucks obscures visibility to a dangerous degree.

The surface has been getting better in recent years.

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled I30 east Saturday morning. Traffic was quite heavy with lots of trucks. Some construction outside of Texarkana. Not a big problem, just those concrete barriers tight along your right side that keep you alert.
2004 Born Free class c

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Take I-840 around Nashville, it's a wonderful road. No big construction that I know of.

Check TDOT Smartway for info on delays, accidents, etc. Great site.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 E from Memphis thru TN is in good shape with just a few bad transitions from bridges to road. You might want to take the bypass around Nashville to avoid frequent lane changes as you navigate downtown.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!