Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-40 Road condition - From Southern CA to Flagstaff AZ

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi There,

Just checking in before our trip. We are leaving S. CA to go to Flagstaff and Grand Canyon tomorrow morning and will be in the Flagstaff/Grand Canyon area until next Tuesday. Look like weather will be good this weekend (for this time of the year) . Any advice on road condition on I-40 (S.CA to Flagstaff) ?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone . Got here (Flagstaff) last night after 9 hours driving from S. CA . Roads are fine and mostly empty .

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone . Got here (Flagstaff) last night after 9 hours driving from S. CA . Roads are fine and mostly empty .

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
30 miles or so each side of Kingman I-40 was very rough, full of large potholes. The last time I drove it was about 6 months ago and I know sections right near Kingman were being repaved so perhaps its better now.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Have done that trip many times. Never had a problem. Would not drive in snowstorm. Sometimes there was road re-paving where one lane was closed. For AZ portion, check www.az511.gov for traffic alerts just before leaving.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
just made that trip 10 days ago, well kingman to flagstaff, no problems, no road conditions to speak of, some pretty good passes from kingman to flagstaff, about 6800 feet
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension