cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-74 or I-95?

carlab
Explorer
Explorer
Im traveling from CT to Myrtle Beach then on the way home stopping in Harpers Ferry WV. We have a 5th wheel. Which route is better? I have never driven I 74 before Should I go I 81 to I74 or I 95? Does anyone have any advice about the different routes?
8 REPLIES 8

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Going from Myrtle Beach to HF there are no Tolls unless you come to DC-695-Dulles Toll RD. I'd make a correction to Mike in that I'd go from Opal where 17-29-15 meet to Leesburg on 15, 7 west about 3 mi and West on Rt 9 to a right on Harpers Ferry Rd (RT 671) which is the 1st Rd West of Hillsboro. There is a really nice Organic Restaurant on the left, 1 mi N on Harpers Ferry Rd called Grandale Farms. There is room to turn around up in back, food is mostly grown there in the spring-summer and they have a wine tasting room. You can also go straight thru Leesburg to 340 West to Harpers Ferry.

I 73-74 isn't finished and I81 takes you a long way west before you turn NW

WrongWayRandall
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
And I95 will cost you $100 in tolls

Yep. Not all Interstate highways are toll free, so check ahead of time or you may get a nasty surprise...

- Randy
1975 Westfalia Campmobile "Backroads Wanderer"
2014 Rockwood A122 hard side popup

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Taverniti wrote:
I-95 North take I-295 around Richmond back to I-95 North. Route 17 North about 10 miles north of Fredricksburg. I-66 west until you see 17 North again, Route 50 west until Route 340 into Harpers Ferry. Nice route and no tolls.

x2
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
I-95 North take I-295 around Richmond back to I-95 North. Route 17 North about 10 miles north of Fredricksburg. I-66 west until you see 17 North again, Route 50 west until Route 340 into Harpers Ferry. Nice route and no tolls.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
And I95 will cost you $100 in tolls

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I-95 is direct, full of traffic, some places 3 lanes, always busy, fairly urban in several areas.
I-81 is usually pretty full of traffic but much more rural and scenic. I-74 is also fairly rural and has the least traffic of the 3.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
I95, most direct.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Moved from Forum Technical Support