cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-80 or I-280 thru Moline, IL/Davenport, IA?

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Denver via I-80 in a couple of weeks (no RV this trip) and was wondering what is the best route through this area, stay on I-80 or take I-280? We will be going through on a weekday in the early afternoon. Thanks.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

6 REPLIES 6

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
I live here/there. I'd stay on I80. Illinois DOT's been doing work for a couple of weeks (I do NOT know how long it will last) on I280 just east of I74 and there are lane/speed restrictions. Nothing going on I80 in Iowa that I know, but check 511ia.org for updates before, and during your trip.

I'd second what GoPac says, and yes, gas is usually at least $0.25 cheaper in Iowa than Illinois.

***UPDATE*** This afternoon took the I80 bridge across the Mississippi into and out of Illinois...electronic signs say "bridge work" starts April 15th. :S

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I-80 is probably the easiest but using I-280 may be a few miles shorter. I-280 will take you through a bit more of the metro area, but not enough to matter and you will not need to slow down.

Just pay attention at 'the big X', which is where I-74 and I-80 meet in Illinois.

There was work being done on the I-80 bridge over the Mississippi a few months ago - you might call the Iowa or Illinois DOT and ask about it.

Never heard of any wind problem.

If timing is right, good food at 'Iowa Machine Shed' located just south of the I-80 and Iowa SR 130 (Northwest BLVD) exchange, exit 292. Be hungry. Really hungry. Get dessert.

Or stop at one of the Amana Colonies restaurants, located about 10 miles north of I-80 from exit 225. German food. Nothing dietetic. Yum.

Based on living in the quads for most of my life, I would recommend taking I-80.

And I think fuel is NORMALLY cheaper in Iowa then Illinois.

Tim

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We have done both many times since '78 as we come in from I-74. I have no real preference.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I'll remember that I-680 around Omaha. Yeah, I'm aware of the need to lean left onto I-76 too. Just trying to eliminate busy areas on our way west. This trip to Denver is just my son and I in the family car so it should be a bit quicker than when pulling the 5er. We did most of this in reverse on our way back from Grand Teton a couple of years ago.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
The Quad Cities area is no big deal either way - unless you hit it on Friday afternoon in a snowstorm or something, you'll breeze right through it. And we hit Omaha on a Sunday morning last year and there were about 6 cars on 10 lanes of roadway, straight through town. I can't see a problem either way you do it.

Traffic is generally not nearly the problem that winds are - between the Quad Cities and Green River, WY they were constant, blowing out of the north. Hundreds of big wind turbines up along the route now to take advantage of the breeze.

Don't forget to veer off of I-80 on I-76 to get down to Denver.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've always taken I-80 through that area, and saw no reason to divert. Traffic usually flows pretty well there. On the other hand, I-680 around Omaha is the way to go.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375