cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I70 to Carbondale, CO

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We will be heading there mid next week if all goes as planned. I am hearing that the detour in Glenwood Springs is not favorable to RV's.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks - be safe.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

4 REPLIES 4

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We have been thru the I70 / 182 mess 5 times so far - one was real bad / slow about 9am and the others at midday was normal to light traffic. We head back up there from Carbondale tomorrow to head west on I70 - Sunday at 11am should be ok, I hope.

But we also sat up high in the rv park in GWS and watched the stopped traffic on I70 - went for a couple of miles at times.

Be glad to be by that mess - but love Carbondale and the area around here.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
We will be heading there mid next week if all goes as planned. I am hearing that the detour in Glenwood Springs is not favorable to RV's.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks - be safe.

How did you do in Glenwood Springs?

Seems as if most of the issue is just rush hour traffic, and if you plan, like you normally do, you will miss most of it.

Hoping to see some of the Images of this trip - as they should be Great.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are coming north from Arizona, don't use I-70 to get to Carbondale. Use US 160 to CO 145 to CO 62 to US 550 to CO 133. Then you avoid Glenwood Springs completely and get to see some beautiful scenery as well.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Not any reasonable options not involving 100's of miles of travel back through Grand Junction and eventually over McClure Pass. I'm not sure the detour any less favorable to RV's than before, just a lot of slow going getting through town. Semi's will also be taking this route, so it has to be able to handle big rigs.

I'd say leave GWS around 11:00 a.m. and follow the detour through town. At least by Wednesday, there will have been a couple of days for people and the traffic engineers to make some adjustments. None of us are looking forward to this. And you're looking at one day. The detour is in place for 95 days! We've been to the grocery store three times in the last three days to stock up!
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)