Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Is such a route a possibility?
12 REPLIES 12

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven many parts of the route but not all of it. Since I live in NJ I have driven all of the NJ route plus much of the NY, ME and VA route. I think the route is what you might expect...... very varied. It ranges from very scenic to stop light city. When I take a non interstate trip, I avoid using the old route thru big cities. Using my route I would never go thru Wilmington, DE.... I would bypass it on an Interstate. But the OP asked if you could do it and the answer is yes.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting question since we like to stay off Interstates too. My last trip to Maine I was concerned about bridges etc in New England. Mr May: have you driven the interesting route you described or was it a map reconnaissance? Thanks
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
I did return! And thank you for your response.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
WOW......the OP asks a 6 word question and never returns for an answer.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Not hard at all:

In VA take US 11 north to US 40 East in Hagerstown, MD

In Maryland Take US 40 Eact to US 202 in Wilmington, DE

In Delaware take us 202 north thru NJ, NY, CT, MA, and into NH.

In NH US 4 and US 202 run together.

Near West Nottingham, NH stay on US 4 and take it into ME.

In Hampton, Maine turn North on US 1

Exit US 1 in Wells.

The links below show detailed information of the two longest legs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_202

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_40
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put this into google maps avoiding highways, tolls and ferries and it came up with a route, so it is possible. I don't know how much time you have, but it looked like 3 days to me.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
US 15/11 and US 209 will get you from the PA/MD state line into New York.
There are several routes you can use. Check a real map and don't rely on GPS only.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like a fun trip go for it,when you come to a big city by pass it, you,ll find lot of CG nobody knows about, and plenty of places to spend the night .

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Go on google maps. Select your start and end points. Then click on options and select to avoid highways. Check out the route they give you and make adjustments where needed. I did it from Sharpsburg, VA to Wells, MA. It takes you through downtown Harrisburg, PA. Where it says to do that I would hop on the highway for 10 miles to bypass the city.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Of course it's possible. Before the Interstate highway system how do you think people got where they were going? Find a printed Rand McNally road atlas and get going.

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
Anything. Is possible if you spend a few minutes studying maps,but you probably won't enjoy several legs of your trip. On the other hand,if you go by boat and leave the camper behind,you could troll for stripers ( and the occasional great white off Cape Cod). What's more exciting than that?

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
delete
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind