cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Icefields Highway

ss573
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks, I've been following along with the "Rollcall" with a lot of interest. My wife and I, along with another couple, will be headed north to Alaska next year. ( Our first trip )I've been looking at maps of different routes and came across this one....Icefields Parkway ( Canada highway 93). It looks to be a great drive.

While looking at the Google street view, I came across a sigh on the southern entrance to the highway which stated "Trucking Restriction 4550Kg" weight limit and a park permit required. The weight limit would not permit my coach to travel the route but does this apply only to commercial trucking??

Can someone clarify that for me??

Thanks for any information.
2015 Thor Pilazzo 33.2
2017 Jeep Cherokee Toad
14 REPLIES 14

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
Coming home from Alaska we did the Icefields Parkway drive. We have done it before and it is well worth it and one of the most beautiful drives. We always get the annual pass. It will run a little over $110 for both of us but we can stay as long as we want.
We will usually stay at Whistlers Camp in Jasper (about a week) then go onto Lake Louise Trailer Park for about 3-5 nights and then onto Banff Tunnel Mountain Trailer Village for about a week. If you stay at these camps and like hook-ups like we do you must book early. In fact book the first day reservations are accepted. I have seen them completely book within hours. Especially for hook-ups.

Parks Canada

Have a look at this web page also...

Icefields Parkway

Have a wonderful time and a great time planning!

Janet
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

AndyLyyc
Explorer
Explorer
Hint - ebay/kijiji/craigslist a park pass ๐Ÿ™‚

The car rental agency staffers are usually posting them regularly - can pick up one for 20-50$. But unless things have changed - pay attention to which parks they're valid at some are single area.

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even think about not traveling this road. Hey, don't think just do.

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
It is such a nice drive, we parked at the Icefield's center parking lot over night because we didn't fit in any nearby campgrounds. Honestly, it was the most spectactular parking lot we've ever stayed at!!

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I do not know whether it has changed, but our last trip required a pass for each person and not the vehicle. A little pricy, but the parks are worth it. Just be prepared!

Not quite correct. There is a "group fee" - 19.60 covers up to 7 people arriving in a single vehicle. If you will be in the Mountain Parks 6 days or longer the annual fee is the best deal. Good in all Parks in Canada and good for one year from the month in which it is purchased. Great if you might hit the Park(s) again on your travel back south.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is current list of fees;
Fees

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
Two adults is $19.60 Can.for a park pass. Wife and I did this drive last week. Definetly do the ice fields ice bus tour. Well worth the $104.00 for two people.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I do not know whether it has changed, but our last trip required a pass for each person and not the vehicle. A little pricy, but the parks are worth it. Just be prepared!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ss573
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good info !! We have been on the edge of planning this for 6 months now. This will be our retirement trip. :B

I did hope there are some campgrounds I could get into but will need more research. Maybe we will see some roll callers next year ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy Camping everyone!!
2015 Thor Pilazzo 33.2
2017 Jeep Cherokee Toad

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
It's a beautiful drive. If you plan on stopping in the Park , you need to buy a pass at the Park entrance. I suggest getting the pass. Stop at the Columbia Icefield and take a ride on a Snowcoach!
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
Yes - the weight limit is for commercial trucks. RVs are AOK. You do need to have a Park Pass to travel the Icefields Jasper parkway but it is the same pass that you purchase when you first enter Banff or Kootenai or Yoho natioanl Park The one pass does all.

96Brigadier
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:
Commercial. You will require a pas, if you intend to stop inside the park boundaries, for anything other than a photo stop.

The Icefields Parkway requires a National Park Pass to travel on it, regardless of whether you are planning on stopping or not.

The sign you saw on the Icefields Parkway is for commercial trucking, you are fine in an RV.

You do not need a pass if you are on the TransCanada or Highway 93 South to Radium AND you do not stop.
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L CTD
Truck weight 8,448 lbs with hitch, wife, two kids, full load of diesel
2010 Keystone Cougar 293SAB
Pin Weight 1,800 lb, Trailer Weight 10,700 lb
(Loaded for camping w/ full water tank)

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Commercial. You will require a pas, if you intend to stop inside the park boundaries, for anything other than a photo stop.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I beleive that is for commercial heavy hauling through the park.
We have traveled several times in MH.
Contact the park
Contacts

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow