cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpharetta (Atlanta) to Bear Den CG (Spruce Pine NC)

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Heading from Alpharetta (north of Atlanta) to Bear Den CG off the BRP in/near Spruce Pine NC. Wondering what is the best way to get there.

Option 1:
North on 400, east on 115 to Clarkesville, north on 441 to Sylva, east on 23/74 to Waynesville, I-40 east to and through Asheville, north on 221/226 to BRP and then on to Bear Den.
Am thinking this is the slow, painful way but could be wrong.

Option 2
Get over to I-85 and head east past Spartanburg SC and pick up 221 North there.
This looks to be the best option.

Option 3
Get over to I-85 and head east to Spartanburg SC. Take I-26 North and then take 74 east and pick up 221 north.

Thoughts? Appreciate the help!
12 REPLIES 12

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
I think I'd go for option 2. I'm not familiar with the SC part of US 221, but it's as good a road as you'll find going into the mountains in that area. There's no point in going via I-26 & I-40; you'd have to a serious climb on 26, and then give it back on 40, then climb again on 221.

I'm assuming you plan to go up US 221 to the Parkway at Linville, then double back to Spruce Pine? That's the way I'd do it in tow. NC 226 looks like a short cut, but it ain't. It runs more-or-less north from US 221 directly to Spruce Pine, but the last 3+ miles is a heck of a climb, with tight curves. The truck warning sign going down (south) on NC 226 from Spruce Pine:

Jim, "I've found my Sleep Number. It's seven. Seven beers."

Thank you, handbasket! You assumed incorrectly but you have most definitely convinced me --- 14% grade -- helloooo!

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd go for option 2. I'm not familiar with the SC part of US 221, but it's as good a road as you'll find going into the mountains in that area. There's no point in going via I-26 & I-40; you'd have to a serious climb on 26, and then give it back on 40, then climb again on 221.

I'm assuming you plan to go up US 221 to the Parkway at Linville, then double back to Spruce Pine? That's the way I'd do it in tow. NC 226 looks like a short cut, but it ain't. It runs more-or-less north from US 221 directly to Spruce Pine, but the last 3+ miles is a heck of a climb, with tight curves. The truck warning sign going down (south) on NC 226 from Spruce Pine:

Jim, "I've found my Sleep Number. It's seven. Seven beers."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven 221 many times from Gafney to Rutherfordton (then US64 to Lake Lure) and highly recommend it. The BRP with a trailer is really NOT fun.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or, if you want to do the 85 route AND see some pretty country, you could head 85 north to Greenville and then left on 25 over to I-25 and up to 19 across. Love to cross into NC from SC in the clouds on cool days
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I think I would take your option 1 and spend a night around Sylva/Waynesville. But I always try to do that because that is one of our favorite areas to visit. You may need to get on to your destination so that would make a difference.

EDIT TO ADD. You could go up I-85 to Banks Crossing and take 441 all the way to Dillsboro. I have made this route many times. We always try to arrive for lunch at the Jarrod House in Dillsboro.

Of course I have one very important reason to go this way. My great grandfather was born in Banks County, GA (Homer) and enlisted in Confederate service with the Middle River Volunteers in which he served as captain throughout the war.

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
I-575/GA-515 north to Blue Ridge, GA-60 to Mineral Bluff GA and GA-60 Spur to US-74. east on US-74 to Waynesville and I-40.

Hadn't considered that route but am looking hard at it.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Option 1: Would be a long day, though wouldn't be bad to make it a two day trip. Just to many small and curvey roads.

Option 2: My vote. Last time I was up on the parkway in that area, we came home down 221. Very nice road to travel except for Rutherfordton, but even that wasn't bad.

Option 3: Not a bad option if you want to stay on multi-lane roads as much as possible. However, 221 between I85 and Hwy 74 is a very nice and pretty rolling road with little traffic. Because of this, I would put this below Option 2.

FYI, about 10 miles from I85 on 221, where 221 makes a turn in Chesnee, you will pass a Hot Spot. Usually has some of the cheapest fuel in the area and definitely much cheaper than NC.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
I have driven Option 1, and except for the towns, the route is a good one. A lot of that route is 4 lane divided highway. Using Option 2, you will drive over very slow going surface streets, and depending on the time of day, could be painfully slow.

Thx. Specifically where are the slow surface streets? On 221? I was assuming that would be a 4 line divided highway but perhaps that is wrong.

I like the idea of being on the interstate until getting to 221 but your comment concerns me that 221 might be a pia.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I-575/GA-515 north to Blue Ridge, GA-60 to Mineral Bluff GA and GA-60 Spur to US-74. east on US-74 to Waynesville and I-40. Would be better than going thru Clevland to US-441. But you still go down Black Mountain.
US-221 up thru Chesnee SC to US-74 isn't a bad road either, and looks to avoid the big hill.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven Option 1, and except for the towns, the route is a good one. A lot of that route is 4 lane divided highway. Using Option 2, you will drive over very slow going surface streets, and depending on the time of day, could be painfully slow.

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, amxpress.

Any other thoughts out there?

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I like option 2.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch