cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If It Is The Least Consolation...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The gunman that carjacked the Canadian Rainbirds Jeep, is now way down in the basement shoveling coal for eternity.

I don't believe this "chisme" (gossip) to be idle rumor. There was a massive gunfight just outside of Caleta de Campos, Michoacan a few days ago and the rurales killed more than a dozen sicarios (gun men) at a huge roadblock. One of the -no longer with us- is strongly believed to be -the one- that robbed the Jeep. His name was "Carlos". I believe what my family tells me, not what some yellow journalism website or mass media conjures up.

The "Self Defense Forces" are going house-to-house, routing crooks, drug dealers and scumbags. From Cerro de Ortega to Lazaro Cardenas, hundreds of Templarios have been shot or arrested or fled into the mountains. Rumor has it over TEN THOUSAND gente are taking part in this flushing of the toilet.

Every last PJE, state cop has been fired. Weapons confiscated. Policias Preventivas del municipios (like sheriff deputies) have been forcibly removed from duty, weapons confiscated. Presidentes de municipios have been indicted by the federal attorney general. Same with ministerio publicos. The MP who did the paperwork on the rainbirds Jeep is history. He was an employee of the Templarios.

A massive effort of Marinas and Rurales have cleaned out Playa Azul, La Mira, Arteaga, and are now headed for Lazaro Cardenas.

Enough! Michoacan is one of the nicest, most beautiful states in la republica. I do not expect the governor and his lackeys to survive the most massive cleanup in recent Mexico history. When the public effort gets finished, the state will be cleaner and safer than any other. The rurales are NOT going to go away. They are going to keep working with los marinas and el ejercito until this state is safe for tourism once again.

WHY? You ask, am I so emotional about this? in the parking lot of Bodega Aurrera, with my two grand daughters, a gunfight took place in the street and edge of the parking lot. A bullet chipped concrete and has left a scar across my forehead. It's been this way for five years now. Dalia age 5 wet herself so bad and Pilar kept screaming te sangrear (you are bleeding!) My face and shirt front was soaked in blood. Cinco puntas (five stitches).

I realize some of you could care less. This is your right. But others may be interested in knowing what actually is taking place. Michoacan is a place of peace and beauty. The templarios are learning this the most hardest of ways.
81 REPLIES 81

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about no participation lost internet. Carlos Slime Helu, is the rat who owns TelMex, and now he is using his tens of billions to purchase telephone and cellular service in the USA. Wait a bit and pretty soon you will be paying for service you don' get, just like me.

Anyway. The delay option is the best. The issue is if I go through DOZENS OF HOURS of research to provide links to purchase the simple components, will any of you consider purchasing them and having the system installed? This is a FAIL SAFE system, not garbage. Something that would meet KKK-1822-AA federal USA standards for reliability in AMBULANCE SERVICE. The parts cost is under a hundred dollars. It is foolproof.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
I see there are still those that apparently don't think danger exist for them because they are just too savy and worldly.

Apparently there are still those who are completely unaware of the crime statistics in the US. Here's the tip of the iceberg - 700,000 car thefts - 38,000 car jackings - 16,000 homicides - more criminals than any other country in the world - those are facts from the FBI and USDOJ. If anyone wanted to they could get on any website a rant on and on about just about anything. We try to ignore rants and psycho babble. Way back when we are told by the Bible "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone". Hard to imagine how anyone in the US can point a finger at another country claiming superiority these days.

We are all well aware that crime exists in Mexico. We also have traveled there for many years without incident. We know what goes on in Mexico and we pay attention. We are not outsiders looking in.

All very true, I suppose what makes it a hassle in Mexico is the bureacratic hoops with officials & insurance companies you have to jump through, plus dealing with another language. It will not discourage me from going there, I will just take more precautions to ensure I have a better chance of avoiding a situation like this. Those who are apprehensive should simply travel in groups, either a caravn or 2 or 3 friends, although as i am am sure the folks this incident happened to will tell you, the mistake was taking an attractive vehicle up a lonely road. Since I have one of those vehicles, my plan is to have a tracker, anti-hijack device installed and I have removed any reference to 4X4. I suspect a dually may be less attractive since they are far less common. If they hold me up for my ATV in the truck bed, I can afford to lose that. The main thing right now is to avoid non toll roads in Michoacan State where is where the issues appear to be, unless you are with a group. In fact it is prudent to use toll raods wherever possible. They are expensive, but cheaper than a new truck.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Thats the one where the rear window defroster is supposed to keep your hands warm in winter while you push it?

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I for one have made up my mind that if I ever am lucky enough to come to/visit Mexico, I'll be driving something that nobody on Planet Earth would want to steal.

Recommendations as to least desirable brands greatly appreciated...

A Yugo would be at the top of the list.

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
My original post says it WILL start and run until the fuel in the lines run out, so my theory is that when they are unhooking your vehicle I'll tell them the vehicle has problems with the carb.
Right now I have been towing my Jeep with a hidden battery kill switch so when the ignition is on while towing I don't run my battery down. I use that switch any time I leave the Jeep as in shopping etc. So if they were to unhook my Jeep it would not even turn over. Do I tell them about the battery kill switch? It would depend on my instincts at the time. Then do I worn them about the carb problem? Not sure either. I speak fluent Spanish so communicating is not a problem, getting shot might be.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
in my vehicle I would shut the valve off while towing

The idea we are trying to find a solution to is when a gunman is pointing a gun at you and wanting to take your vehicle you can let him take it and 5 minutes or so down the road - when he is safely out of range - the vehicle quits on him and he runs away - you then go down the road a few miles to retrieve your vehicle. Having a vehicle that won't start when someone is pointing a gun at you might not be the best option.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
I've read this thread with interest.

Not much real life experience for you though, eh?
You're condemning an entire country spanning many degrees of latitude and cultures based on what? Your perception?

It's like when a fool, or a drunk opens their mouth in public.
Everybody knows.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I see there are still those that apparently don't think danger exist for them because they are just too savy and worldly.

Apparently there are still those who are completely unaware of the crime statistics in the US. Here's the tip of the iceberg - 700,000 car thefts - 38,000 car jackings - 16,000 homicides - more criminals than any other country in the world - those are facts from the FBI and USDOJ. If anyone wanted to they could get on any website a rant on and on about just about anything. We try to ignore rants and psycho babble. Way back when we are told by the Bible "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone". Hard to imagine how anyone in the US can point a finger at another country claiming superiority these days.

We are all well aware that crime exists in Mexico. We also have traveled there for many years without incident. We know what goes on in Mexico and we pay attention. We are not outsiders looking in.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

There are pockets of civility and safety for those who live there and travel there and stay within confines.

That's exactly the same thing someone said recently in a thread about RVing in the North American Southern States.

Weird!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've read this thread with interest.
Mexico is just like it was in 70's. It's "Indian Country." We hear more about it today because, of expanded media, forums/net etc. It is perhaps worse in Mexico today.
There are pockets of civility and safety for those who live there and travel there and stay within confines. Viet Nam would have been viewed as safe by some I suppose.
It's not quit that bad except when you are outside the wire. Everywhere is now outside the wire down there.
Enjoy the pockets of tranquility. Enjoy your sense of adventure.
I wouldn't go back without at least a squad with plenty of firepower and links to Mother.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I googled "ignition auto shutdown alarm" - from that I would guess a car alarm store, such as CarToys, could probably trick out a method to disable a vehicle 20 different ways.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
maybe you would say that but in my vehicle I would shut the valve off while towing...........duh
Chuck n Sandy

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
and when you have a gun pointed at you, yousay, excuse me while i lift the hood and shut off the gas.

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
how about putting a shut off valve on your gas line, closest to tank as possible. Engine will start but not run long? Jefe mi motor tiene problemas!
Chuck n Sandy